Winter running tips and gear help?

Options
I have been running for about a year now as a part of my weight loss journey and last winter I was an in the gym treadmill runner. That's how I started. But once the spring came and I got a taste of outdoor running I haven't been able to go back inside. I hate hate running indoors now and just want to be out on the trails.

So I'd like to cancel my gym membership and try and stay an outdoor runner all winter. Do any of you have any advice on gear for outdoor running? A friend of mine told me I needed a wool base layer and wool running socks. Any other advice or gear you'd recommend?

Also winter runners, is there any special stretching or warm ups I'd need to be doing? I live in NYC just to give you an idea of the weather I'm talking about. Thanks!

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A wool base layer? Sounds itchy to me!

Consider silk as a base layer. For sources, consider looking at cold weather motorcycle gear. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper than running gear and it's virtually the same thing. You really need something that will wick away the moisture (sweat) from your skin.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wool could be nice.

What I used to do is basically wear a summer shirt under a sweatshirt of some, kind, hat, gloves, regular socks and shoes, shorts.
    If it's really cold, like freezing or below, i'll add sweatpants or tights.

Hat and gloves are a must though! I could run down into the 40s with shorts, and tech T-shirt, hat and gloves. BTW, I have a set of Nike running hat and gloves I picked up at an outlet store that have been good, but growing up I just used stretchy gloves and a knit stocking hat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't know about wool....I would get itchy, so that wouldn't be an option for me.

I just bought some of the fleece lined winter running gear from Target - it was pretty affordable (especially compared with Under Armour!) and keeps me very warm. I also got a knit hat with a dri-wick lining to help keep the sweat off my face. I still need to get a waterproof shell and some warmer socks, but I have my base layers to get me started.

I guess the hat is in my profile pic! :laugh: It's from Target too. I also picked up some fleece zip up sweatshirts from Walmart and Kohls. They've been great for cool mornings.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    A wool base layer? Sounds itchy to me!

Consider silk as a base layer. For sources, consider looking at cold weather motorcycle gear. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper than running gear and it's virtually the same thing. You really need something that will wick away the moisture (sweat) from your skin.

wool socks for sure, but I'd skip the wool base layer and go with a thin silk layer.

I'm also in NYC so here are my suggestions:

layer up - thin layers you can add and strip as you go are best. I do a thin silk base top layer (got it from LL Bean) and use a thermal over that - I really like CRAFT for their thermals - expensive but I bought mine in 2009 and have abused the crap out of it and it's still as good as new and one of my favorite cold weather things. then you need a light windproof shell to go over it. you're body will be working and producing its own heat so the trick is to keep it in there... something you can ball up tiny and put in a pack should you get too hot and decide you want to carry it instead would be good. I have a cycling one that rolls up into nothing by Castelli. for your bottom layer, I'd invest in two pairs of tights - Bellweather and Sugoi last forever and are good bets. I have a lighter pair of Sugoi tights for late Fall running, and a fleece lined pair of Bellweather tights for dead of winter running. wool socks are a must - if you're running on snow covered trails, get some of those toe warmer thingies skiiers use. Gloves are another biggie... I can run in shorts and a tank top with arm warmers as cold as 50 degrees out, but once it goes below 60 I need gloves. I have a cheap thin pair of Nike gloves, and then I have a pair of thick fleece lined gloves for winter running. Last but not least, invest in a good beanie. The Smartwool ones are okay, but I actually love these things called Balaclavas - they're used for cycling a lot - fleece caps with a little area on the bottom to pull over your nose/mouth... sometimes it really helps with breathing as cold air can irritate your airways - also helps keep the snot at bay, having a fleece part pulled up under your nose.

But yeah, best thing to do is buy a few layers so you can adjust according to the weather - I actually keep a chart for cycling and running on what temperature requires what type of clothing... it's all about trial and error, but I hope what I've shared helps.
  • lrazzo
    lrazzo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback.

My friend who suggested the wool base layer is a competitive mountain biker in vermont and the wool under layers aren't itchy, she showed them to me this weekend. They are good for wicking moisture I guess.

I picked up one wool shirt and one pair of socks to test but I am gonna look into getting some under armour type items (although cheaper versions if I can find them like you all suggested) and some good hat and gloves for just running and not regular day to day stuff.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Tagging to read later. I am curious for the answers as well. I figured I was going to need to buy a bunch of Under Armour stuff lol.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've run a few times already this fall when it's been in the high 30's. Once I get moving, I'm usually fine. I wear a pair of light shorts and a tshirt.

Anything under 20* and I'll likely wear a tshirt and wind breaker. Below 10* I'll probably throw on a hat.

I'd recommend some gloves for running under 40*. I don't have a pair, but sometimes wish I did.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love wool base layers. When I run in colder weather 15 to 35 degrees F I wear a hat and gloves. I often wear a specific running-designed vest that provides ventilation in the back and wind protection in the front (sporthill). Occasionally I may wear a running jacket. In the snow I wear Yak Trax for grip. I often have to start out with some layers and remove or open things up on the run (unzip, remove gloves and just wear liners, etc.). And when it is really cold I wear a balaclava to keep my face from freezing.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've just started running outside and am adding layers as the temp drops. This thread is really helpful thanks :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is starting out cold! But you warm up quickly, so you have to dress for that, not for how you feel when you step outside.

Last winter I found that layering a wicking tank or tee on the bottom, with a long sleeve polypropylene or other tech fabric top was just about perfect, especially with a half zip for ventilation (I live in California, but it gets damp/cold/windy here in winter, especially in the early morning!). If it's really cold or windy, a light fleece vest was great for keeping my core warm.

A light windbreaker/shell was good for rainy days. Lightweight beanie or fleece head-wrap to keep my ears warm - head wrap was nice because it was easy to loop onto my arm if I got too warm with it during the run. Lightweight gloves were nice too - I'm seeing more and more of them with the "tech finger" or whatever they call it, but ones that you can still use the touch screen on your phone or iPod without removing the gloves is very handy. :smile:

Other than that - running tights or capris worked well for me, I wore my usual running socks, but might opt for smart wool or similar brand if it was really cold.

Have fun - enjoy the various weather conditions! I think it's part of the fun of running.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Can I add a question, what about running in the rain? Some people have said just get wet but others say buy a waterproof layer. Opinions please? X
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    thanks I was looking for the same
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • lrazzo
    lrazzo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is a good addition to this thread. I have no idea about that either :)

I am writing all these suggestions down though and going looking for some of this this weekend. Awesome advice, hope its helpful to others too!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm very appreciative of all these tips, I'm in the same boat as the OP -- facing my first winter of running.

One thing I can add to the discussion is the need for a headlamp and reflective outerwear, since it's more likely that it will be dark out when it's time for a run.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=13355327

i always go into ****s and they have tons of crap, but it is pricey. Plus if your running, you have to remember to dress less than if you were just going outside, cause you will get hot. I usually dress as if it is 10-15 degrees warmer than whatever temp it is.

those stars are d i c k

if it is 50 degrees i dress like its 60

if it is 40 degrees i dress like its 55

if it is 20-30 degrees i dress warm with like a wool jacket.

i have to keep my gym membership personally, cause where i live i get a lot of snow, and trying to pace myself in a foot of snow is a pain in my A S S
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Great topic!! Can anyone recommend an online store to buy this kinda stuff from? I'm specifically interested in finding something to wear around my lower face (like a balaclava).
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love love running in the winter, even though I detest the cold!

The trick is to wear wicking fabric as your base layer. You still sweat when it's cold, and wet cotton is not good.

I wear a fitted under layer that is dry-fit material (long sleeve top and pants).
    Fleece jacket -- sometimes 2 layers if it's below freezing.
    Looser running pants (over the tight ones)
    Dry-fit socks (not wool or cotton). Make sure your ankles arent exposed.
    Glove liners (also dry-fit). They are thin and you can still start/stop your watch. Make sure our wrists aren't exposed.
    Hat with face mask. I have one that covers my nose and chin, but I can pull it down under my chin when I get warm.

If you run in the dark, wear a reflective vest.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great topic!! Can anyone recommend an online store to buy this kinda stuff from? I'm specifically interested in finding something to wear around my lower face (like a balaclava).

Try Eastern Mountain Sports.
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    Dress for 20* warmer than the temp. (i.e. if it's 30* outside, dress for 50*) This helps to keep you from over-dressing.
    For snow and ice: Yaktrax!! They are AWESOME! You can get them through Amazon.com for under $20

Also, runningwarehouse.com has GREAT sales, a good return policy and, oftentimes, free shipping.

Happy running :)