Winter running tips and gear help?

Options
2»

Replies

• eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hate being cold when I workout, but I also hate wearing a lot of thick or heavy clothes when I run. I really like Under Armour Baselayer ColdGear as well as their Thermalwear because it keeps you warm without adding a lot of bulk. My parents have an Under Armour outlet by near them so I always stock up when I visit them, especially around the holidays because you can find great sales. I can wear a thin silk baselayer top and tights still feel warm even when it is 15-30 degrees outside. Sometimes, if it is really cold, I throw on a thin fleece that I can tie around my waist once I get warmed up. I also like wearing ear warmers vs a hat. I have tried wearing a hat to run and feel like I get overheated because the heat from my head gets trapped in the hat and drives me crazy, but that is definitely a personal preference.

I also agree with the person who said to wear some sort of reflecting strip since it gets dark so early in the winter.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Can I add a question, what about running in the rain? Some people have said just get wet but others say buy a waterproof layer. Opinions please? X

That so much depends on the temperature. If it is rainy and above 10C (50F), I just get wet. If it is rainy and below 10C, I wear at least a water resistant jacket.

To answer the original question....

For winter running, I have whole stages of leg wear and tops:
    I start with shorts and a t-shirt until about 15C (60F) - tech fabrics
    Between 10 and 15C, I wear shorts and a long sleeve tech fabric tee (usually a race shirt I have acquired)
    Between 5 and 10C, I usually go to capri running tights and a ls tee (sometimes a jacket if it's early in the morning)
    Between 0 and 5C, I go to full tights, and add gloves and sometimes a wool beenie hat (it's an amazing Icebreaker one...love it)
    When it gets really cold, I move to running pants that have a wind breaker in the front...sometimes I add tights below them. I might add a layer between the ls tee and jacket, though I rarely need to.

Yak traks are great for running in the snow. Trail shoes (such as the ones that Soloman makes) are also good 4 season shoes. I wear them on the trails in the nice weather and then in the snow (and even snowshoeing) in the winter.

As a snowboarder, wool and silk are both good baselayers and really comfortable. Wool is often a bit cheaper. I wear wool socks to snowboards, but couldn't imagine running in them. My feet are hot and sweaty running in my regular runnings even when it is well below 0C (perhaps that's TMI).
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Can I add a question, what about running in the rain? Some people have said just get wet but others say buy a waterproof layer. Opinions please? X

i wear something similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Mens-Storm-Shelter-Jacket/dp/B003EEN8R6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_16
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

when running in the cold rain, a waterproof jacket is great - biggest thing to look for is sealed seams, otherwise, it's not truly waterproof. as long as there are sealed seams and waterproof material, the next thing to look for is weight. I'd recommend going as light as possible to keep with the layering theme... if you get too hot, you can always remove a layer underneath and wrap around your waist. when you're running in the rain, you're going to get wet, no matter what you're wearing, but if you keep your top/chest warm and dry, you should be fine for at least an hour.
  • mariarose88
    Options
    I've been curious about this too as I'm in a similar situation. Bump!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I was just about to post the same question. I skipped my AM run today because of the first rain of the season, but I don't want to do that all winter.

I am an AM runner in NorCal so the temps aren't too bad during the winter months - at most down to maybe 35-degrees in the rain. The one race I ran in the race last year I wore a poncho, but was overheating 1/2 way through and it wasn't very ideal for training runs.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I run in all weather, and I have some great heavier running pants, and if it's super duper cold, I'll wear tights under that. On top, I wear a longsleeve drifit with a fleece on top plus a hat and gloves. Again, I add a layer if it's really cold. I find my hands get the coldest of anything...so sometimes I actually wear the glove like a mitten :) until I warm up...that seems to help my little digits warm up. I've always found my feet to be fine for some reason, and I live in iowa and often run when it's in the 20s...if it's below that, I stay inside and grudgingly do inside activity.

I tend not to like to run in the rain unless it's light, and then I wear drifit...I've been caught in the rain in some cotton/fleece wear, and it's super uncomfortable :). I just HATE the way my feet feel when I'm super wet and running...
  • pammcw
    pammcw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nike has a winter running pant that is awesome! The fit is nice (not a tight). I found mine at "Sport Authority."
  • lrazzo
    lrazzo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So many great responses thank you everyone. I am gonna attempt not to bust the bank buying all this stuff! :) But I am determined to keep running through the winter!
  • JamesOliver22
    Options
    I am very fond of outdoor running. I daily went for it. My favouriate outfit for outdoor running is a light warm shirt and wool shorts.
    Try this outfit, Hope you like it. Here are some pics chk them that may be helpful for you.. :flowerforyou:

http://www.thecustomclothing.com/women/shorts
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    So many great responses thank you everyone. I am gonna attempt not to bust the bank buying all this stuff! :) But I am determined to keep running through the winter!

Paragon Sports on 18th Street (I'm in NYC too) is good for some bargains - JackRabbit is awesome for running shoes, but they never have sales and their clothing can be pricey... but they do give 10% off everything you ever buy as soon as you spend $100 at their stores.