Best 'tool' to track 'calories out'???

Options
We all know that the calories burned number on the treadmill/bike/elliptical isn't accurate. Is there anything that is really accurate for tracking calories burned while working out? I have a Polar heart rate monitor, but my 'wellness coach' reminded me last week that it's not accurate (and I'll be honest.....it burst my bubble just a bit!).

Is the Bodybugg the best thing available right now? It's a bit out of my price range.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Your HRM should be accurate within 90% if it's one with a chest strap.

Measuring your HR is the most accurate method of estimating calorie expenditure IMO. The accuracy of the Bodybugg/GoWear Fit varies. It can be thrown off if you exercise outdoors in hot weather, for example.

The absolute best would be something like a HRM combined with something like a Bodybugg, but I don't think anyone is marketing such a thing, unfortunately.
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    a friend of mine bought the bodynugg and she said she had a hrm polarf11 before and it was equally accurate...I looked it up, it's about 129...
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar HRM (with chest strap). And I've found (so far) the appropriate weight loss according to my calories in/calories out. Why do you think the Wellness Coach poopooed the HRM? Was it for a hard sell for something else? Do you not have the chest strap? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this :wink:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I also love my Polar HRM with chest strap. I have found that it to be pretty accurate. I'd love to know why she didn't think it was accurate?
  • TrainerJulie
    Options
    Kristin - I'm not sure why she poopoo'd it. They're not 'selling' anything, so it wasn't that.

And yes, I have the chest strap also. Obviously I know that looking on a chart in a book or on a website for calories burned for xxx exercise is just an estimate, but I figured that since we configured it with my height and weight and all that jazz it should get me closer to knowing what I'm burning.

I'm glad to hear that you all think yours are accurate. I have the Polar F6 (PINK!) :) .
  • ljm0104
    Options
    From what I know and personal experience you can't get much more accurate than a good hrm than doing every workout plugged up in the doctor's office.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm my trainer HAS a Polar F6!! She hooks into my monitor and keeps my HR up where she wants it.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't have the money for a bogdybugg...what is the next best thing? I really want to know calories burned and I know it won't be 100% accurate, but is there something out there that's close??