Last minute choices....!!!

Options
Okay, this thread might be intended for big successes, but ... every good choice (even if it's small) eventually adds up.

Last night I got a last minute invitation to dinner ... at a steakhouse. Even though my dinner was already planned and my food was pre-logged already - I said yes and went "with the flow" - (this was a rare opportunity!)

So.. we got there after 8 and I was starving. We ordered an appetizer (mushrooms marinated in a white wine and garlic sauce) and I ate only a small portion. I ate most of my salad (dressing on the side). When the entree came, I ate 1/4 of the baked potato, all the steamed veggies, and 1/2 of the 1/2 rack of ribs.

It might not have been the smartest choice on the menu (there were other leaner options, like a vegetarian plate)... but I kept my portions in check and was well satisfied. I also stuck with water - and didn't order any wine or beer.

I'm considering it a success because I managed to wing it AND be satisfied with the outcome. :)

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job, it sounds like you did great, and were very reasonable in your portion choices. Feel good about that, you showed willpower and took control. And showed that eating out doesn't have to be the end of the world :bigsmile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I agree. :)

For anyone reading - sorry if putting details of my meal is annoying - goodness knows there's enough of that on here.

I posted this more with the intent of offering encouragement - to all of us - than for pats on the back...

It's awesome to experience that by making smarter choices for long enough, they start to become habit. A fairly easy habit! :) And THAT makes me very very happy!!! :)

Be encouraged!
  • bethany_85
    Options
    Good job! I agree wholeheartedly that you have to sometimes go with the flow. And even though you didn't choose the vegetarian option which might have been a little healthier overall, I personally think it was a better decision to eat what you wanted and be satisified. Nothing gets me off track and more frustrated than when I think I CAN"T have something. And if this is really going to be a lifestyle change you have to be able to eat ribs once in awhile! :laugh:
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me, this is all about making a lifestyle change I can live with. There are some things I will never give up but I've learned to have them in moderation. Sounds like you did great and it's a good reminder that you can do that in "real life".
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    Sounds like you did a good job. Keep up the good work.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Why thank you! I'm pretty sure that next time I get to go out "on the fly" it will be no big thang to order something lighter..... Loving that this seems to be getting to be a comfortable and "normal" way to live!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!