How much should I weigh?

Options
I am female, 5' 5", 155 lbs. I know my "ideal" weight is between 114 and 150, but that is such a huge gap. I've only just now, in the past couple of months, gone over the 150, but even weighing that, I was certainly carrying loads of extra fat around. I'm a little overwhelmed and confused about how I need to work out, what I need my goal to be, what I should be eating, lol. I'm confused by all of this, and it feels a little overwhelming. I have created my own diet/exercise plan since starting MFP, and have lost 4-5 lbs so far. But I don't know if I'm doing it right. Sorry to write a book, and I'm not even sure what I'm asking. I just need some help, lol. I don't know what I'm doing here. I just want to look tone and fit, like I did before I had my kids!

This is me before my last baby

0904092320.jpg
And this is me today :(

IMG_20121022_100255.jpg

I want to go back to the first picture please!!!!!

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    fixed
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    Fixed
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    bump?...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    split the difference - go for 140 and then reasses when you see what you look like at that point.

The trick to weight loss - honestly? is being brave enough to revisit your goals and adjust them once you make progress - not planning everything in advance.

life happens.

You gotta do it in stages.

:flowerforyou:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Change the IMG to img for the pics :smile:
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    Thankyou!! I did something wrong on the first pic, lol. Hang on and I'll try and fix it :D
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you're big boned or large framed..you'll be closer to the high end of the ideal weight range.... If you're small boned/small frame ( like Kristen Stewart) you'll be want to aim towards the lighter weight range. I'm almost 5'6" and 125-130 looks best on me. I am a decent size at 140 but still look chubby.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i used BMI and the met life tables to choose my goal weight.

BMI : http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

met life tables : http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    weight is subjective... 100lbs and 40% body fat is different than 100lbs and 15% fat
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/

This will tell you what your lean body mass is and how much fat you're carrying on your frame.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Set a goal that's reasonable. For me, I chose the mid-range of what 'normal' was for my height. Once I hit that goal, I edited it again. It's not a race and you don't NEED to stick on a certain number. Just keep working until you are happy with your results.

Feel free to add me as friend for support and encouragement. =)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    split the difference - go for 140 and then reasses when you see what you look like at that point.

The trick to weight loss - honestly? is being brave enough to revisit your goals and adjust them once you make progress - not planning everything in advance.

life happens.

You gotta do it in stages.

:flowerforyou:

^This. Great advice as always, Yoovie.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Actually looking at the photos is helpful before giving generic advice. But seeing as there was some issue getting them to show, I digress.

You were very thin before, I'd not shoot for that unless that is your thing. I agree with split the difference. You aren't fat per se.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Poor thing, you sound so overwhelmed! How about going back to the beginning and using that as a starting point... Do you remember how much you weighed back then and what you were doing to get in that shape? I'm sure it may not be possible to do exactly the same with a munchkin now in your life but it'll at least give you an idea. Maybe add on 5 or 10 pounds just to be realistic (you can always lose more after you get to that 1st goal) and remember you might not be able to look exactly the same because having a baby does make changes to your body (wider hips for instance).

You can make this as simple or as complicated as you want to. I've gotten overwhelmed in the past with all the facts and opinions too. There is a great link somewhere around here about a road map that helps you figure out how to find a good calorie goal. Another way, which I'm using, is to use your BMR as your calorie goal and then add on whatever calories you earn through exercise. And just concentrate on one macro. If you're counting calories, just focus on the calories. If you decide to go low carb (like Atkins), focus just on the carbs. Keep it simple!

As far as activity goes, start just by doing whatever you have time and energy for. Walking is a great exercise and a great jumping off point. From a slow beginner's walk, you can go faster and farther and maybe start running. There are tons of other options out there - the most important thing is to find something you enjoy so that you'll stick with it.

Good luck!
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    Thank You all so much. I am not sure what I weighed before. But I had actually already had one baby before my first picture, so that pretty much is what I know I can look like. I was that thin after my second baby as well. But I worked really hard at it, exercise more than diet though, because I wasn't big to begin with if that makes sense. I've never had to take a lot of weight off. But then I got an incarcerated hernia, and had to have emergency surgery on my abdomen, which put a stop to my training, and when that happened, weight just poured on. I never weighed as much as I do now, not even pregnant. And you're right Minnie, I am overwhelmed. Thank You for some good advice on where to start.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Actually looking at the photos is helpful before giving generic advice. But seeing as there was some issue getting them to show, I digress.

You were very thin before, I'd not shoot for that unless that is your thing. I agree with split the difference. You aren't fat per se.

I actually think you looked great before. It's doable--just eat well and work your @$$ off lifting!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You should be around 125lbs (5lbs for every inch over 5' is a guideline)

Now adding strength training to your workout may cause that number to be a little higher, but your size will be smaller.

Count calories and exercise - the weight will come off.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I was 155 when I started, over 2 years ago. My weight today fluctuates between 115 -117.

It is doable but you have to do it the right way, without starving yourself and adding strenght training to your routines to speed up fat burn
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    First off, I would love to look like you, at either weight. Lolz.

Second, I think that you shouldn't worry too much about the #. You can be 140 (the high end for your BMI) and still be healthier than 110 (your low end). It all depends how tone you are. Instead of dieting, maybe just try to exercise more, not cardio, but strength training and squats and crunches?
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you read this article. I've just read it and it's scary but makes sooo much sense. Give it a try, we need to stop focusing on a number on a scale.

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/