Afraid of losing weight...

Options
Good Morning,

I am struggling with needing to lose 24lbs to be at the correct weight for my age & height. I am 52 years old and very afraid of what the weight loss will do to to my face. I have 4 friends whom I've known for years. Each one has taken off at least 20lbs and they look great from the neck down. However, from the neck up, the weight loss aged them by at least a decade. My goal is to age gracefully & healthfully. My current weight 133lb is too heavy for my 4' 10" frame. Is there a way to lose extra weight without the damaging effects on the face?

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Keep hydrated - drink lots and lots of water and don't ever stop for the rest of your life!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Moisturize. And save up for a face lift.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Have you been looking at the success thread? Most people's faces look wonderful after weight loss no matter the age.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm 37. I looked OLDER before I lost weight. I looked a lot older. Use a moisturizer & drink plenty of water... you will be fine & you will look wonderful.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you go to my profile and then to my photos, you will see my now photo of my face and the one of me when I started here. Comparing the 2, I think I look better now. ;)
  • lynnmariep86
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here too and I just saw your post. That is a very real concern! I do think that when you lose a significant amount of weight, the skin doesn't shrink all the way. It is worse as you get older, and it seems worse for fairer men and women. HOWEVER, you are not looking to lose 100 pounds, only 24. I realize that is a lot for you, but I don't think it is enough to make your face saggier. A couple of ideas: Lose the weight very slowly to give your skin time to keep up; and if you don't like the way you look, it is super easy to put the weight back on! Good luck!
  • AubieMae
    Options
    Thank-you, everyone! What a wonderful place this is...I appreciate the responses. All of you make very good points and I am less afraid today. After seeing 3 girlfriends (all just a bit younger than me) take off weight and age almost 10 years.....I was thinking of just staying plump like Miss Piggy. However, they took their weight off very, very quickly and so I am a bit more rational today as I consider my options. I have decided to aim for 1.7lbs loss per two weeks over the next 6 months to help protect my skin as best I can. I am brewing 10 cups of green tea (5 bags for 10 cups) to help me with my hydration...I can drink it hot or over ice. In addition, I am logging my nutrition on a daily basis. In terms of exercise (which I am using loosely), I have started Wii fit for 50 minutes a day and walk my auzzies 3miles per walk (5 out of 7 days). So.....let's see what happens. I am kinda of excited and alot less worried. Thank-you!!