counting fruits

Options
I report everything I eat. I am trying to monitor my sugar intake, but having a difficult time staying within my limits. I know I should eat more fruits and vegtables, but the sugar in the fruit is throwing me off. Should I include the fruits in my calories and sugar count??? On the average I eat a half grapefruit for breakfast and an apple for lunch. That alone will put me over half. I don't want to get discouraged, but what do you do??? Please weigh in. Thanks!

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    For every gram you go over, you will gain a pound.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do count the calories in fruit, but I do not worry about the sugar. I do not eat processed foods much, or stuff with added sugar. But my sugar is always over the MFP preset. I love fruit, and believe it is good for me. I have lost a lot of weight and have had no other issues, so I just ignore the sugar.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Screw the sugar count. Eat the fruit. And log it because those calories still count. I'm over on my sugar every single day, and I'm down 47lbs in 5 1/2 months.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I absolutely count all food I eat, including fruit. I use to follow Weight Watchers and didn't do well once I started having zero point fruit. Fruit should definitely be counted if you ask me. I am down 50 pounds since June of this year using MFP and 107 pounds since Jan. 2011.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruit are processed differently in the body than sugars from a candy bar... or at least weight watchers and webmd have told me so. I wouldn't hesitate to log fruit.. and I would not be distraught if my only sugar intake was mostly from "healthy" foods. Now if you're over your sugars because you ate a bunch of crap.. that's a different story.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within you caloric goal? Are you diabetic? If you answered yes to the first question and no to the second you needn't worry about it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruit are processed differently in the body than sugars from a candy bar...

No, they're not
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Figure out your macros and stick to it.

Fruit is better than candy as you get beneficial nutrients/fiber along with the sugar, but your body processes it exactly the same.
  • AmyP1974
    Options
    I cannot lose weight and eat more than one serving of fruit per day...it was a sad realization for me to make, but there you have it. Absolutely count your fruit. Tropical fruits (bananas, pineapple, etc) contain very high amounts of sugar so I stay away from them altogether. If I do eat fruit it is berries..
  • Akaladi
    Akaladi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Amy. It's becoming a sad reality for me.
  • Akaladi
    Akaladi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the comments are encouraging.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sugar counter on MFP is set low, I go over ALL the time. Don't worry about it if it's healthy fruits and veggies!!
  • francaise3
    francaise3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - LOVE fruit and am over my sugar levels here on MFP pretty much every day! :) Am not worrying much though - I love snacking so fruit is always the best option for me! :)
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    MFPs sugar goal is redic. If I eat a piece or two of fruit a day I ALWAYS go over. Adding everything else I eat my sugar looks pretty bad on a daily basis. I dont worry about it lol.