Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Does anyone rely on a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned? How accurate are they? Which type or name brand is fairly inexpensive. I can't afford an expensive one.

At this point, I am only interested in seeing how many calories I burn while I am doing my exercising.

Any help would be appreciated!!! :smile:

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I got one about 3 weeks ago I think. Looking at what it says compared to the estimates MFP gives and those on other websites there's a big fluctuation in calories. I feel like the HRM is more accurate. I use one with a chest strap so it's constantly monitoring my heart rate and when I'm in certain zones.

I have the Polar Ft4 it was about $60. About the cheapest for one with a chest strap that gives clories burned. Some of the watch only ones just capture your heart rate when touch a certain button (or in somacases the face of the watch (I know personally I'd forget to check often enough or I'd let checking get in the way of my workout!) Those can be around $40.

If you can't afford the one you want take a few weeks and save up. Meanwhile don't eat back all your exercise calories. Eat back about 75% giving yourself a 25% margin of error on calories burned. That's what I did before I got mine and it worked okay.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    There is a search button on the menu ...if you enter 'HRM recommendations' in there you will get a lot of answers.....

I use a Polar FT40 very useful since this site over estimates the calories burnt by quite a lot
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it uses a chest strap to record heart rate and report to the watch. I found it more accurate than what MFP generates. Amazon is a good place to check prices.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I also bought the Polar FT40 after reading recommendations here. It works really well. I got it on sale from Amazon for about $60.
  • prazes4him
    Options
    I use the Sportline Solo (about $45) I got it simply to calculate the calories I was burning. It is just the watch so I have to check my heart rate often to make sure it's calculating right like Kellicci stated, but it really doesn't bother me since it only takes a sec. to do so. Definitely worth the investment.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 that comes with chest strap and love it, easy to use and keeps track of your workout history...Target last week had some on sale for only $33 so I bought two as gifts, check the clearance section in either the electronics or sporting goods department! Otherwise, there probably are some deals online, but would def recommend a chest strap for more accurate readings