Runners, am I nuts?

Options
2»

Replies

• re1096
    re1096 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why not run the half marathon on Sunday and the 5K on SAturday you have PLENTY of time to train for the half. PLENTY.
    I trained and did my first one in 5 weeks and I could only run ONE MINUTE (yes that says minute) when I showed up for training day one. Granted I was majorly dedicated.. but there is no reason you can't run a half.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    The relay has kind of grown in to a family tradition I guess. My dad, brother, and brother-in-law have done it with one other guy each year. There has been talk of doing the relay with my dad, brother and sister for next year. That would be kind of neat. My dad will be 69 for that one. This one was pretty hard on him though, so I don't know if he'll want to again. But if it's with his three kids, then maybe?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you do this, you probably will let your team down. We all run a little faster when we run a race, so you probably will not moderate your first two races well enough to have reserves in your tank for the relay.
    If it were my team, I'd want an anchor who was committed to my race, not some cavalier guy who is going to be running around exhausting himself first and then is going to show up and to 'wing' it.
    Seems perhaps a bit rude and show-off-y.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8tld7wTdb1rcftipo1_400.gif

That is all, thank you
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Not nuts at all! If you train, you'll be just fine. Make sure you stretch between the 2 races a little bit so that you don't stiffen up. It really is about the training, tho.

Good luck - - and kick butt!!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Well, all but one whiner. har :drinker:
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I did the Runner's World Half this weekend and one of the running options was the "Hat Trick": 5K and 10K on Saturday, Half Marathon on Sunday. Something like 800 people did it. I just did the half, as it was my first, but it's definitely possible and not even that uncommon to do what you're talking about.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    That is tougher than what I am looking to do. Thanks for the info.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Totally do able.

For the Disney marathon weekend, they have what is called the Goofy.... You race the 5K, the 1/2, and then the full. I have a few friends who have done this.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why would this be crazy?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    With a year to train that is doable. Pick one race to run all out for a PR and the others at whatever effort is left over.

This. It's almost like doing a weekend hat trick. It's not unusual.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only "nuts" part I see, is throwing money down for 3 races' entry fees with the intent of not really racing any of them. But maybe I am just cheap? ;)
  • Debralous
    Debralous Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it is do-able...I have read others doing similar events. The one thought I had was that the final 6.5 miles is the relay...what if something goes wrong in an earlier race and you are injured or otherwise unable to complete your relay? I would hate to run out of gas and bonk when other people are counting on me. If the relay was first I would say go for it. But my thought would be if you are interested in back to back races, make it YOUR day and not take the risk of impacting a relay team.