Detox or juice fast advice?

Options
Has anyone done it? Is it worth it? What did you actually do? Master cleanse or a supplement type thing...I am just now beginning to consider it...advice?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done it? Is it worth it? What did you actually do? Master cleanse or a supplement type thing...I am just now beginning to consider it...advice?
    Your liver detoxes your body all on its own. Nothing else "detoxes" your body.
    You may find some overpriced laxatives masquerading as a "detox" remedy. There is no such thing.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My friend did one. It was very hard, and anything that came off came back on again a week later. I guess you need a plan for phase 2.
  • perpetuallyengaged
    perpetuallyengaged Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oh, i wasn't hoping to lose weight, i just wondered after 32 years of shoveling awfulness in my face it would be good for me...
  • perpetuallyengaged
    Options
    oh, i wasn't hoping to lose weight, i just wondered after 32 years of shoveling awfulness in my face it would be good for me...
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just don't...
    Detoxes don't do anything for you other than prove you have the willpower to endure such an ordeal. Just start eating healthy and your body will take care of itself.
  • jealous_loser
    Options

Just start eating better foods. That will probably help more than any cleanse. Those are a waste of time in my opinion.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Your liver detoxes your body all on its own. Nothing else "detoxes" your body.
    You may find some overpriced laxatives masquerading as a "detox" remedy. There is no such thing.

^^ THIS^^
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You aren't full of toxins. If you were, you would be dead.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

One of the great myths perpetrated by the charlatans offering things like the master cleanse is that your body builds up all sorts of toxins and your colon is full of undigested rotting food and other disgusting (and equally false) ideas.

While there is some truth to the idea that we do build up toxins as a result of environmental exposure and consumption any that can't be handled by your liver and kidneys (eg heavy metals) require medical attention not a mail order "cleanse" or "detox".
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I put a lemon wedge in a glass of water.
  • perpetuallyengaged
    Options
    lemon wedge it is, then! i don't eat fruit, like, ever, because the texture weirds me out. i wondered if juicing would be a good way to get some fruity goodness into me. OH, and i have read/heard that since i eat most of my veggies raw my body doesn't process them right. is that a load of crap or is there some truth to it?
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    lemon wedge it is, then! i don't eat fruit, like, ever, because the texture weirds me out. i wondered if juicing would be a good way to get some fruity goodness into me. OH, and i have read/heard that since i eat most of my veggies raw my body doesn't process them right. is that a load of crap or is there some truth to it?

Load of crap. Literally and figuratively.. raw veggies (a lot of them anyway) are full of varying types of fiber.. which actually aids the digestive system (as long as there are no underlying health issues). So eat away.

And yes, the best way to "clease" your body is to eat clean.. stay away from preservatives and processed foods and fill your diet with fruit, veggies, whole grains... :-)

ETA: I know you mentioned you don't like fruit, but half of the veggies I eat often are actually fruits- tomatoes, squash, cucumber. So you may be getting more fruit than you thought.