Fast food?

Options
My trainer was looking through my food diary last week. He told me that I need to stop eating so much fast food. I am doing well in the weight loss challenge (down 7.2 pounds in 2 weeks). What I don't understand is, if I am under my calorie, carb and fat goals and getting enough protein by eating it, why should I stop eating it? Just because it says McDonlads or Wendys it makes it bad or something? I either get a small burger or 4 piece nugget with no sauce with apples and drink my own vitamin water zero. I have given up fries completely for this weight loss challenge. I work 4 10 hour days 9a-7p and on those days find it hard to bring an actual dinner to work to eat and make and when I get home at 745 I'm too hungry to wait to cook a meal then eat it after 8. so I usually end up eating fast food once on those days. What are the hidden negative effects of eating Mcdonalds rather than making the same thing at home? Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My trainer was looking through my food diary last week. He told me that I need to stop eating so much fast food. I am doing well in the weight loss challenge (down 7.2 pounds in 2 weeks). What I don't understand is, if I am under my calorie, carb and fat goals and getting enough protein by eating it, why should I stop eating it? Just because it says McDonlads or Wendys it makes it bad or something? I either get a small burger or 4 piece nugget with no sauce with apples and drink my own vitamin water zero. I have given up fries completely for this weight loss challenge. I work 4 10 hour days 9a-7p and on those days find it hard to bring an actual dinner to work to eat and make around 5 and when I get home at 745 I'm too hungry to wait to cook a meal then eat it after 8. so I usually end up eating fast food once on those days. What are the hidden negative effects of eating Mcdonalds rather than making the same thing at home? Any thoughts on this?

It's not that it's bad per se, but if it takes up a large portion of your caloric intake your micros may suffer. However from a weightloss perspective it doesn't really matter as much. If you were to have the same caloric intake and same macros, but one with fast food and one without, I don't think weight loss would be significantly different
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Think he just means there are better nutritional alternatives for the amount of calories.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything necessarily -bad- with eating fast food if you are under your calorie limit, it would just be -better- to eat homecooked meals, ykwim? I usually eat out at least once a week as well because I work late at night and dont have the energy to make my own food when I get home.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Think he just means there are better nutritional alternatives for the amount of calories.

I agree with that. If I've only got a certain amount of calories to use, I want them to be the best ones possible.
  • adomenichini
    Options
    sometimes fast food has a lot more sodium then the item would have if you made it yourself. Higher sodium can cause you to retain water. Just make sure you drink ALOT of water to counter balance this.

Also, you could get a lot more food for the 150 calories instead of 4 chicken nuggets. Your trainer probably thinks it will help keep you more full if you eat more for the 150 calories. Especially if it is food high in fiber or "slow carbs" -i.e. whole wheats, etc.

BUT I also love going to fast food restaurants when I am inbetween working and other activities. I just know in advance the healthy options I can have. I love 2 chicken taco fresco's for lunch/dinner when I know I do not have time to cook. Sometimes I have subway, sometimes I have a Jr.Roast Beef sandwich. Panera soup and sandwich combo is good to (if you look get the proper calorie combination).

We have to do what we got to do in our busy schedules!!

All the best!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's because of all the hidden things in fast food, like sodium as someone mentioned, and possibly sugar, and whatever chemicals they put in there. Also, as mentioned, you could have something more nutritious for the same calories.

My PT told me off once because I ate a curly wurly (chocolate bar in the UK with about 115 calories in it). I could've had a banana for less calories that would've filled me up more.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of fast food and I think i've been to Mcdonalds twice in the past 5 years or so, but I'm sure chicken nuggets and a burger are fine occasionally.
  • sarahahum
    sarahahum Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love fast food for some reason or another. At my worst (sophomore year of college), I would go to the McDonald's on campus and get a filet-o-fish AND a McDouble. But when I was first doing MFP (before I fell off the wagon and gained a ton back and then some) I kept eating there but switched to a filet-o-fish OR a McDouble. By looking up the calories in all of the things I like at every fast food place, I know what is off-limits and what is not. I say as long as you are aware of that and the food makes you happy/not feel miserable, EAT IT :D
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Its not known as nutrient dense food. If you want to keep eating it thats fine, but make sure to take a multivitaimin. Although there is more to health than just vitamins. There are so many micronutrients/phytonutrients that come from brightly colored fruits and vegetables, that you just cant get from a vitamin or from most fast food.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    check the sodium levels! We eat far too much sodium.
  • bvinette31
    bvinette31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I checked those days I ate fast food for sodium and I haven't gone over on that either, so that's good! And I have been drinking 5 or more cups of water a day as well
    I actually have a hard time eating more than 1200 calories without the fast food now that I'm eating other healthier food I get full quicker! I am eating more food for less calories and getting full and I think oh crap I need calories or I'm going to go into starvation mode but I'm not hungry I can't eat. So eating fast food kind of helps my metabolism in that aspect that it increases the calorie intake a bit, but no fast food meal I eat is more than 500 calories anyways.
    Also I like the suggestion about taking a multivitamin. I have trouble swallowing pills though so I need to find one small enough. I just got some not realizing how large they are