Leaving the USA to live someplace else

Options
jefedesalto
jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
I was just curious how many American MFPers there are that have contemplated or are contemplating a life in another country. I plan to retire in Colombia. I love the USA but lived in Colombia for a year and fell in love with it.

If you live someplace and want to move someplace else, where would you like to live and why?

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for my youngest to graduate...or close to graduation. Am taking a position that would take me two years to Italy, two to Japan, and two to Germany. In no particular order.

When retiring, I will likely retire in Mexico...no more than two hours drive from border. I'm too fluent in that language and it just makes sense to stretch out the dollar and fish in some light blue water with white beaches.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I'd love to move elsewhere, but we have to stay within the states to keep SS and we have to keep SS to keep his retirement. The one place I'd love to go to now would be Hawaii, no snow except in the mountains, and it's perfect weather year around. But I'll be staying here :(
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like it fine here...Maybe the UK??
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I lived in Thailand for a year teaching and LOVED the country (the job, not so much). I'd absolutely relocate again, but money and location elude me.
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd love to move elsewhere, but we have to stay within the states to keep SS and we have to keep SS to keep his retirement. The one place I'd love to go to now would be Hawaii, no snow except in the mountains, and it's perfect weather year around. But I'll be staying here :(

I lived in Hawaii on Oahu, it was beautiful. Have you considered Costa Rica? My Aunt just moved and they allow Ex Pats to live there, as long as she comes back to the U.S. I think once a year she gets to keep her SS.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would love to move to England. My company would allow me to move there and work for our UK branch if I desired. I've thought about it if my current relationship fails because I'm super happy staying here with him. But if him and I were over, there would be no reason for me to stay where I am. England, here I come!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I can't say where here. Don't want my wife and kids to find me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Italy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Italy.

Been to my cousin's house overlooking the Tyrrhenian sea. That'd be a good place to start looking for me.
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    I love Ireland. I would live there in a heartbeat. We have family in Cork.. They live in a drinking town with a fishing problem. My kinda place!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy here, so I would never want to leave permanently, but I wouldn't mind living in another country for a year or teaching abroad or something like that.

South Korea has always been interesting to me. Possibly the UK if I didn't want the pressure of learning a new language.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    during the inevitable zombie apocalypse, i'm getting as far from civilization as i can to weather the storm. :tongue:

Puerto Williams, Chile is just about as far away as you can get without moving to the Artic or Antarctica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Williams

Puerto0Williams-9.jpg
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a place on the French Riviera - been twice in two years and I'm madly in love. Staying and working would be a bit tough, though, under their immigration policy. My husband and kids are fluently bilingual, and I'm getting there, so it would work for us. Villefranche-Sur-Mer specifically. Beautiful little place right outside of Nice.