Advice for new workout routine

Options
Hey everyone! I'm wanting to get some advice on a new workout routine. This is what my routine looks like now....

3 to 4 days a week: 30 mins on the elliptical, jump roping for 10 minutes fast pace, and then 35 mins weights change it up each day... monday-arms/abs tuesday-back/chest wednesday-legs Thursday -full body workout

Saturday or Sunday - 45 minutes on the elliptical..

Any advice would be appreciated....I still have roughly 70 lbs left to lose.

Thank you! =)

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    that looks like a nice routine! how about adding in some zumba or spinning?
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking Zumba! I wish I could do spinning again but my current gym doesn't offer them... I lost a lot of weight from those classes at the beginning of my weight loss journey. :) thank you.
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great workout routine already, but I totally understand wanting to change it up some. I lost most of my weight when I started running. Couch to 5k I hear is a great program to help you start running if you don't already. I recently started doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout video. From other reviews it really helps lose inches. Good luck to you!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My advice would be do do a 3 day full body lifting routine centered around compound lifts on non consecutive days and then optionally moderate cardio 1-3 other days of the week and eating 10-20% below maintenance, maybe even less until you have lost some more weight.

I recommend looking at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

and doing this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    replace half of your elliptical with running or jogging
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Zumba songs on youtube. I save to favorites 50 minutes of songs I love for those days that I just can't get to the gym.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Try giving us a list of which lifts you plan on doing for your weight lifting.

Also more weights, less cardio.

cardio is fine if you want a healthy heart, but 1 you don't need that much, 2 your goal is fat loss not be a marathon runner, and 3 its more important to eat correctly than it is to run around a lot.

"you can't out run your fork"