Water intake

Options
I know some of you are in the medical field and something is troubloing me with my 17 year old daughter. First, she is obese, she has a migraine problem and she drinks a lot of water. Tonight, she told me that even if she is drinking a lot of water and going to the toilet often, she feels dehydrated, her throat is dry, it happens often and she does not have a sore throat or a cold. She will she her doctor in three weeks but does anyone have any advice for me.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Skate_48
    Options
    That is a sign of diabetes. You should have her checked out by a doctor. Even if she doesn't have diabetes, she could have some other type of medical problem.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with Skate; you should have her checked out. When I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 1) the only indicator was that I was drinking water and going to the restroom all the time. Check out the American Diabetes Association website for other symptoms.
  • sheri3762
    Options
    I agree. DEf sign of diabetes. My husband had the same symptons before he was diagnosed with it. IF, it is diabetes, don't panic. Its can be controlled, but she will be required by her doc to follow a restrictive diet and in many cases meds to go with it. If she doesn't make the necessary changes, you could deal with other serious problems. I in no way intend to alarm you, I just want you to be prepared just in case they think this is what it is. i was also type II a few years ago, but got mine under control and I no longer take meds for it. Believe me, whatever it is, she's lucky she has you to help her. Teenagers have a lot to deal with at their age as it is, adding med problems def doesn't help. Best of luck to you (and her!)
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response. I will try to have her see the doctor sooner or maybe ask the doctor to prescribe the blood work before she sees her. It will be the first time she sees this doctor but it is my doctor and maybe she'll agree to do it.

My fingers are crossed
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response. I will try to have her see the doctor sooner or maybe ask the doctor to prescribe the blood work before she sees her.
    That is a great idea, and could save you an extra visit. Be sure to mention the symptoms to the doctor, so he can be sure to ask for ALL of the right tests. We have on more than one occasion had the problem of having a doctor ask for a routine blood test, but then not requesting the "type" of testing that actually needed to be done for a specific complaint.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Best of luck - everyone else whose posted has given excellent advice. I'm hoping she's ok - maybe just extremely dehydrated. In the meantime, see if you can look up some diabetic friendly recipes. It can never hurt, right?

God speed :(
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you can't get her in soon I'd take her to an ER or urgent care if she is getting up to go to the bathroom very frequently especially at night.
  • smallangel2010
    smallangel2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is a long time to wait to see the doctor. Can you make an emergency appointment? My sister was diagnoised with Type 1 diabetes a few years ago and prior to it she displayed all the symptons - thirsty ALL the time, going to the toilet constantly and she was always eating chocolate as she said she felt weak and got the 'shakes' if she didn't.

Now we know it was because her blood sugar levels were abnormal. Her doctor sent her straight to the A&E department of the local hospital after she checked her sugar levels & she was kept in hospital for five days as they were monitoring her to make sure they got the meds dosage correct. Even though she is type 1 diabetes she is way healtier now than the rest of her family!!!