What method do you use for body fat measurement?

Options
I find that the 7 point caliper test gives me a lower BMI than what I have to do for work. The Army/Navy body fat test uses a tape measure and measures the neck and waist for men and the neck, waist, and hips for women.
Have you tried both? Which is more accurate. I know the water density test is the most accurate but also expensive.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Mirror guesstimation.

Of those you mentioned, a properly-used caliper would be most accurate, but user error is high.
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mirror guesstimation.

Of those you mentioned, a properly-used caliper would be most accurate, but user error is high.

I agree, caliper. I have the trainers do it at my gym that way I know its correct. At least I hope.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have calipers (I should probably get some) I use the military method. I hope it is correct.
  • jefedesalto
    Options
    Since I don't have calipers (I should probably get some) I use the military method. I hope it is correct.

I find it to be 1-3 % high. Hope that brightens your day.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The trainer told me 19% with calipers. There's no way. Navy calculator tells me 25%. I think I'm somewhere in between that. 22%?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is a really good series on the accuracies (or rather inaccuracies) of each method. I have linked it to the skinfold (caliper) test method.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=250

The military method is good for progress but just as, and sometimes more, inaccurate as the others from a spot estimate perspective.
  • jefedesalto
    Options
    This is a really good series on the accuracies (or rather inaccuracies) of each method. I have linked it to the skinfold (caliper) test method.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=250

The military method is good for progress but just as, and sometimes more, inaccurate as the others from a spot estimate perspective.

Thanks, good read.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use an 11 point caliper test. I won't count an area until I get 3 consecutive readings. I also use a tape measure to ensure I measure to the same exact spot each time. Doing this, I have been consistent with the measurements I got from trainers.