To Eat Or Not To Eat - The Yolk

Options
Like many of you, I have been eating alot of egg whites. I have been doing this for years, for fear of the cholesterol content.
Well, a year ago or so I attended a little health seminar , and the speaker was talking about the benefits of the egg yolk and why we should be eating them. He said that although they contained cholesterol, they also included anti-cholesterol properties. He referred to the whole egg as the perfect food. Honestly, I didn't give it alot of thought, and being my blood cholesterol was a little on the high side I thought I shouldn't risk it, and continue to throw away the yolks. Mostly. Generally , I would include one yolk to 4 whites in preparing egg salad or an omelette, or what have you.

So I thought tonight I would look into it a bit to see what info I could find, and it was interesting. I came across many articles on both sides of the fence, but I am beginning to be convinced to eat more yolks. Maybe 2 to 1.

See what you think with the following articles.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-eggs-or-egg-whites.html

http://www.fountainofhealth.com/2009/02/egg-yolks-are-good-for-you-heres-data.php

And yes there are as many articles telling us the yolk is bad news. The Mayo clinic, for one, thinks we should be avoiding them.

Just thought it was "food for thought" anyway. What do you all think??
:huh:

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Though I haven't yet read the articles I know many swear by not eating the yolks. What I understand is the protein is in the yolks! I don't worry about it, I eat the whole egg. I suppose if you ate a dozen a day a person might want to lean more toward eating the majority of whites.

But unless your own doctor, dietician or nutritionist tells you not to eat them, I would say go by what they say as they know your history and your body better than anyone.

I eat the egg for protein so for me not to eat the yolk wouldn't make much sense for my purpose.

Hope you find what right for you.:flowerforyou:
    Bet you'll get all sorts of thoughts on this matter.:wink:
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've heard it both ways as well. Some of the benefits I've heard of are that the ammino acids in the yolk help to build muscle and that the fat is healthy as long as you don't over-due it. Maybe like a 3 to 1 ratio or no more than 3-4 whole eggs a week. I mostly don't eat them because of the total caloric value. I can have 4 whites as compared to 1 whole egg... I love the yolks and cook them uo for my dogs... so they may have a cholesterol problem. :-) But their coats look great!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Egg yolk along with some nuts have a unique amino-acid in it that actually fights bad cholesterol... I figure if all the famers that I knew growing up that lived to ripe old ages ate them everyday for breakfast and in their home-cooked meals - I would too, always have and still do. Fortunately, I have never had an issue with my cholesterol... :flowerforyou: Just a me thing, I guess. :flowerforyou:
  • smallangel2010
    smallangel2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have always understood three eggs a week is beneficial, any more is bad. I LOVE a poached egg, lots of black pepper on a slice of wholemeal toast. My Grandfather drank a raw egg every morning for his breakfast all his life and he lived to 80! But he was a farmer and did alot of physical work so maybe that balanced out all the eggs!!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist, but as in everything, I believe if you eat the yolks in moderation you should be just fine.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Yay for the humble yolk, I will no longer fear them. :drinker:
    It sounds as if they may be worth the calories. In moderation , of course.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    :bigsmile: I am glad to have my yolks back! Yum.