Inches Lost But Not Weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    You are incorrect, muscle does weigh more than fat. Density is the determinant factor in weight. Given the same volume of both fat and muscle, Muscle would weigh more. Take a look at physics and chemistry to learn about this or for that matter the periodic table will prove me correct. My weight has reached a plateau for a period of time simply because I have engaged in improving lean mass with a vigorous weight training schedule of a minimum of 60 to 90 minutes per day, Inches are melting away but not scale weight and this is to be expected.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    First of all... a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...they just take up different amounts of space.
    A cubic inch of muscle takes up the same amount of space as a cubic inch of fat. :smooched:

I think that people are smart enough to understand that, when someone says that muscle weighs more than fat that they are talking about at a given volume.

So perhaps they should change the expression to a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat...but if you are talking about pound to pound comparison...a pound of anything is equal to a pound of something else...
    hence, the statement is flawed.

(Sorry, one of those things that always made me laugh)

A pound = a pound no matter what you are comparing.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I lost 31 lbs and not once did I change my pants size. How annoying. So I started weight training and increased my calorie intake and I gained two pounds but FINALLY went down a pants size! Woop! So now I've only lost like 29 lbs... Whatever...don't care I'm losing inches and that is all that matters.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So perhaps they should change the expression to a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat...but if you are talking about pound to pound comparison...a pound of anything is equal to a pound of something else...
    hence, the statement is flawed.
    It would be flawed if someone had said a pound of muscle weighs less than a pound of fat. Nobody said that.

The comparison used on another thread is arguing that gold is not more valuable than manure because $1000 worth of gold is just a valuable as $1000 worth of manure. There's no need to get overly pedantic about it - we're all smart enough here to infer what the poster is talking about.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would kill for those inches lost right now - you have a lot to be proud of

I picked up a couple of things in your original post that stuck out to me. First of all, you called it a "binge" when you ate 2000 calories on the weekends. I'm 5'6", and a 2000 calorie day is completely normal for me when I exercise...that's not binging. 1200/day is probably not enough, especially with all the exercise

And you said you gained weight when you tried to balance out the calories (guessing that brought you to around 1450/day?). Given you're eating the same calories over the course of a week, does that make sense to you? How long did you do this? Any "gained" weight over a couple of days would definitely just be water weight. You can't think that you're have some completely unique metabolism that only functions when you eat less during the week. You need to calculate your correct BMR/TDEE, and eat at a (TINY) deficit. With so little weigh to lose, it's going to be SLOW. Like, REALLY SLOW. Going by MFP numbers, you shouldn't be expecting to lose more than a half pound a week. Enjoy the inches and just wait it out. You'll be fine.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and did not lose much but a lot of inches loss in my tummy :).
    My upper body and legs are so strong now so I know I gained a few muscle mass on the way.
    This is the best weight loss you want. LOSE FAT mass but not LEAN MUSCLE mass.
  • 48Tara
    48Tara Posts: 10
    Options
    Have you read the Chose to Lose book by Chris Powell? It is switching from high carg day to a low carb day, with a high carb breakfast everyday. You can also change your workout, everyday to get the scale moving. Weigh in only once a week, and don't worry about it. The lose of inches is awesome, don't quit, you will make it!! Read the book great advice
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your clothes because they will be your best friend on this journey. I salute you on your FAT LOSS!:flowerforyou: