Anyone else signed up for Race for Life? Need some training

Options
I have signed up for Race for Life!! (for those who dont know, its a 5k run to support Cancer Research).

I currently go to the gym 5 days a week, for 60-80mins.
I normally do a warm up on the watt bikes for 3000m, then the weights, then 20mins on the tredmill running, 10 mins on tredmill walking, 20 mins on elliptical, 1600m rowing.

Anyway- i am wondering how too (if necessary) change my workouts to improve my chances of being able to get fitter for the Race for Life?
I am thinking about missing out 2 gym workouts per week, and going jogging instead (along the route where the actual Race will be)..do you think this would be a good idea?

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    You said it yourself. If you're prepping for an outdoor 5K, then you should be running outside. Running on the treadmill is easier on your body than running outside. Outside, the ground is more uneven and it's not moving under your feet for you... Well wishes to you btw! Running 5K in my mind is no easy task... :flowerforyou:
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi, i will be doing the Plymouth Race for Life in June, but i will be walking it, possibly power walking some of the way.

Good luck with your training.

Jax :drinker:
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I have my first 5k in April. My SIL told me abou tthe couch to 5k program that easies you into. You could try that just google it:) I started it in January and it is really working. I am not a runner. I prefer the elliptical and stair master to anything that resembles running, but I am proud to say tomorrow I do the 2 mile portion and though it is scary I know I can do it.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Yes, get outside and get off the treadmill! I abhor treadmills. I'm doing a 5K myself and have started to do the Couch to 5K (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). It seems to really ease you back into it. Switch out three of your gym workouts with three running sessions outside and you should be fine. Don't push yourself too hard or too fast and you'll okay!
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Hi, i will be doing the Plymouth Race for Life in June, but i will be walking it, possibly power walking some of the way.

Good luck with your training.

Jax :drinker:

Hi Jax, do you live in Plymouth then? I live in Plymouth, and am also doing the Plymouth Race for Life!!
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks for all the help you guys!
    I am going to start running outside as from, next week, twice a week, and then build it up to 4 days a week, plus weights at the gym 4 times a wee too!
    wish me Luck!
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire,
    Yes i live in Southway ..... where are you?

Jax
  • claire30
    Options
    Hey Jax, i'm in greenbank!
    Wow, small world!