MOROCCAN Chicken and Lentils (Crockpot)

Options
tripod271
tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
This is sooo easy to assemble. You throw everything into the pot (don't thaw the chicken tenders). You know how with some crockpot recipes you have to brown the protein on the stove BEFORE you can put it in the crockpot (more stuff to wash) well not this recipe - its easy. Nutritional info follows:

MOROCCAN Chicken and Lentils

1 8 oz package baby carrots
1 1/2 cups lentils, uncooked
1 1/2 pounds FROZEN chicken breast tenders
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons salt-free Moroccan rub (or 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, l/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, and l/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
2 (14 l/4 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Place all ingredients, in order listed, in a 4 or 5 quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting 5 hours. Or, cover and cook on high setting 1 hour; reduce to low setting, and cook 7 hours. Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings.

Per serving: Calories 320 Fat 2.0 Sat Fat 0.5 g Protein 40.5g Carbohydrate 33.3 g Fiber 6.7 g, Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 388mg

Note: I followed the 1 hour on high and then found it was done after 3 hours on low. I have a new crockpot so maybe it heats hotter. I hope you like it! :)

Replies

• RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I found your recipe while searching for lentil ideas:-) I think this is what's for dinner tonight! Thank you:-)
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Moroccan food! Many thanks for the recipe. So often crock pot recipes focus on food I find rather boring and standard, its so lovely to see something a tad more exotic!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Yum!!! Bump
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yum sounds great!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Love using my slow cooker! Thanks for posting :)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm! I am definitely trying this!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My family loves Moroccan food and I love easy, this is a win win for all of us!

Thank you for posting it!
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Looks amazing!
  • sgv0918
    Options
    It's in my crockpot now and smells divine and came up even less calories than the OP said when I plugged in the ingredients/brands I used. I'm excited to try this. I've never eaten a lentil before
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sounds great, I'm going to try this one out! thanks again :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe. So easy. My only question- do you think I could substitute chicken thighs for breasts? Would that impact the cooking time at all?
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sgv0918
    Options
    Just ate it. It is super yummy and filling
  • knitmom71
    knitmom71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe. So easy. My only question- do you think I could substitute chicken thighs for breasts? Would that impact the cooking time at all?

I'm adding this to our menu plan for next week. Always looking for different crockpot ideas, and we love Moroccan food.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't substitute thighs. They might cook a little more quickly than the breasts, depending on how thick they are, but slow cookers are usually pretty forgiving in terms of cooking time. The only thing is that thighs are a little higher on the fat content than are breasts, so you'll want to check the nutritional values.
  • sunlovers
    Options
    This might get me to dust off my crockpot and get started. Sounds great...love Moroccan!
  • pcnkb
    pcnkb Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love lentils
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yummy!