I'm going to run a marathon if it kills me

Options
Hello again. I have been a member before (as well as Spark People, WeightWatchers, Daily Plate etc...), and am now returning, I started a couple years ago to lose around 70 pounds, and I got off about 40.. This last year has been difficult, with family issues, moving, and my wife and I chnaging jobs, and I have fallen off track a bit. I haven't had time to exercise, and have been too distracted to focus on losing the rest of the weight. I haven't really put weightback on, (maybe a couple pounds) but am looking to get back into the swing of things. I start at the local gym tomorrow, after not having a membership for a while. I had also been really into running, and can't believe I had got to where 10 miles was a routine, and now 2 miles would kill me. So, I am back for two things 1) Run a Marathon (because after being a 2 pack a day smoker and 243lbs, crossing that finish line would be amazing), and 2) I never want to see 200lbs again on the scale. Ever.

Replies

• subhkris
    Options
    Hi - Good luck on your effort. I was introduced myself to MFP by a colleague on 5/26/12. since then I have been religiously clocking my activities and nutrition. I ran my first 5K last week of September and did a half and full marathon over the last couple of weeks. I did run about 20 miles per week over 3 days, and worked out on the elliptical for 3 days a week for about 45 minutes each time. The exhilaration on finishing the marathon was amazing - the calf and leg muscles were sore beyond words - but totally worth it. Best wishes as you strive to get back in shape for your marathon - and if you train well and set your expectations right, it will not kill you - atleast it did not kill me...
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hola,

Ran in the Columbus Marathon, did the half marathon yesterday. Time of 2.03.35. It was a breeze! But, I trained like a dog. Ran a total of 104 miles in September. I've done 5 marathons but am not looking at doing any any time soon. I will probably do another half because I thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday and don't want to get out of shape. Friend me if you want to.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    At least you have your priorities straight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Can't say it's the best plan I've ever heard, but at least it's a plan.

Welcome back. Good luck.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I know someone who died running, I don't its as pleasant as you think it is
  • gisaacg
    Options
    Hey drmerc, if that's going to be your contribution, I would like it if you would not comment. Thank you.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    At least you have your priorities straight.

:laugh:
  • Annaminus20
    Options
    Good for you! I seriously think my body was just not made for running.. More into cycling and surfing. You can friend me, I just started again and hope to lose 20 lbs by NY.