where do people get their burn figures from?

Options
Hey guys I was just wondering were U all get ur burn figures from. I've recently put a new battery in my heart rate monitor which is set to tiny details down to my vo2max and rest and maximum heart rates. It showed with 100 minutes of high intensity training I burned 914 calories which seems pretty accurate for the intensity levels.

How accurate are the machines and the stats in this app? has anyone tested them?

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Well one time I was camping and some red hot coals were flung from the fire and landed on my arm, left a scar ever since.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP figures which probably aren't that correct but it gives me a good base to work with. If I am doing anything special or different then I use www.fitclick.com which is very easy to use.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    Thanks @mummyadams
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use the numbers on MFP for now. When walking/ running i also use my iPod w/ the Nike fitness app (glorified pedometer).

I know they're not incredibly accurate, so I'll usually put in a little time less than I actually did or go with a slightly lower intensity level.
  • Msdiamondd
    Msdiamondd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did u check your heart rate @ all doing the workout?. Try checking it often when your heart goes up and when it goes down. Keep checking it..
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP estimates to be way off - typically high. I always use a HRM.
  • jonkers2012
    jonkers2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I wear my HRM I always take that figure. If I am just walking or doing stuff like moving boxes or doing DIY I take MFPs figures. I don't worry too much about the accuracy as I try not to eat calories earned by exercise, so it's just a rough guide :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a HRM monitor (I'm getting my metabolic test tomorrow to figure the actual numbers) so as a rule of thumb I take whatever the calorie amounts MFP or whatever app says, and cut them at least in half. I can generally guage by how hard I work a decent burn per minute and just multiply. I've been staying on the low side because I don't want to fall into the over guessing trap.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't log workouts I have a fitbit linked to MFP and use that to estimate TDEE for the day.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel like the MFP numbers are pretty accurate since it takes your height and weight into account. I just recently got a heart rate monitor and it has shown way way higher numbers than MFP ever did.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Well one time I was camping and some red hot coals were flung from the fire and landed on my arm, left a scar ever since.

:laugh:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar HRM during my workouts. I also use a FitBit Zip, but it's new and I am still figuring out if they match up.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I use my burn figures from the gym which is great and if I do anything else I use the following link http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Odd times I do use MFP but not very often
  • BrockNRoll
    BrockNRoll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use whatever the gym equipment tells me I've burned based on my weight, age and workout intensity. It's probably not very accurate, but it's all I have right now. I'm interested in a monitor of some sort if anyone has a recommendation.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I really like. It does everything that I need it to. I dont eat exercise back so it's only for my own info but I know gym machines are way to high although I find MFP to be reasonably close for most things.