Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

kale chips are they really THAT good?

so are they really like potato chips?

and what is the best recipe? simple oil and salt? or are there other magic ingredients out there :)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    No, they are not like potato chips other than they are crunchy and salty. The crunch is more delicate though, and they are quite tasty in their own right. Bake some simply with oil and salt. If you like them, then experiment w/different seasonings.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    yep!
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    I love kale chips! I use a little olive oil (or olive oil spray) and a little bit of pepper. Once it comes out of the oven you can put some fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top. I've also used garlic salt or garlic powder. I recommend you use the whole leaves of kale and not the pre cut kind because it makes for less crumbly chips. :)
  • thanks!
    so salt, oilve oil

will try those and some parmesan!

any other seasonings?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member

and what is the best recipe? simple oil and salt? or are there other magic ingredients out there :)
    If you make them right they are.

I use a spray oil and a little bit of salt. The real challenge is pulling out the bitter stems and veins. It's very time consuming and I usually get bored and just start ripping it up before I throw it on the sheet and into the oven.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    What temp/for how long do you guys cook them?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    What temp/for how long do you guys cook them?
    350 for 5 minutes, stir them up a bit, then 5 more minutes. I don't like them as much when they get very brown around the edges.
  • Could I do the same thing with fresh spinach if I don't have Kale on hand?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

If you are comparing them to something good like Zapps then no, not even close

tumblr_lygrbzLDnm1qa23i1.jpg
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I don't think they're very much like potato chips, as they are very delicate. However, they are very good. I like garlic, chili powder, sea salt, and olive oil on mine.
  • anneliseq
    anneliseq Posts: 7 Member
    There are recipes out there that use nutritional yeast as a seasoning which I find really tasty - its a seasoning vegans/vegetarians use as it contains B vitamins and the taste is slightly similar to cheese. Kale chips are definitely not like potato chips but are amazing in their own way!!!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Of everyone I know, I'm the only one who likes them. They are NOTHING like potato chips. I chop mine up, spray some Pam olive oil on them with a little kosher salt and sometimes a little pepper. I bake them on my Pampered Chef stoneware baking sheet.
  • They are completely different. I LOVE them but to even put them
    In the same category is misleading.
  • They're alright, nothing to write home about though
  • They are really THAT good - but i've become addicted to this recipe: http://realnutritionist.com/real-raw-food-recipe-raw-cheesy-kale-chip-recipe/ and once you add the calories from the tahini & nutritional yeast, you've just piled on like 400 calories!

:( so sad...