WEIGHT WATCHERS

Options
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE IS DOING THIS PROGRAM,AND WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT.
I'M THINKING OF DOING THE ONLINE PROGRAM.

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    It beats me why anyone would want to pay money for something like WW when with MFP, you CAN lose all the weight that you want to FOR FREE! :bigsmile: It REALLY, REALLY,DOES work. :love: :bigsmile:
    (ps. I HAVE done WW several times years and years ago. I've also got a sister who has, and my mother is also a lifetime member. Course, she gained all the weight back and more, and is too embarrassed to ever go back to WW. It DID work for awhile, but, unless you want to keep spending money for it, once you stop going, the weight comes back.)
  • WombatC
    Options
    I did weight watchers a long time ago--it worked well and it trained me so I kept the weight off---then my life went kablowey and I had huge things to worry about--food wasnt one of them. I got out of my healthy eating habits, got married and pregnant and the weight came back on. I am still a life time member but I dont go back because I am 5'5" and I weighed 130 then--I am 59 years old now (I was 25 then) and I could NEVER get down that low-I will be happy when I lose 10 more pounds and I am 150.
  • madgoth
    Options
    I've done it a number of times. It has worked, but it really depends on the sort of involvement and motivation you need. I have actually found more support here than I ever did at WW, even when it was at work and I knew the people involved. I also think that being in touch with calories is more helpful than pretending food is okay to eat by using points to disguise the calories. I also disliked the limited online help of the WW site. You had to pay to use the utilities. Here you don't.

I would save my money and try this place and see if you don't have some success. Besides, you don't have too far to go to meet your goal.
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the n January and I won't be renewing when my time is up. I thought it was going to be something different but it's not really. This site has better forums. Now I guess if you have no clue on how to lose weight then weight watchers might teach you something but if you are like me and know HOW to do it but just need the motivation to do it then I think it's a waste of money. That is just my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. I do like that WW has the points marked on the Smart Ones meals but all I would have to do is check out the calories. And I don't understand how some foods can be 0 points, they still add up in calories. Anyway...
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WW is a total waste of money...have done it many times before and it works, but once you know the tools you need, you can do it on your own...i'm basically doing WW on this site...I still follow points and type in all my food here for the day..it's great and has been working wonders! Love this site!! And its FREE!!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am a life time member of weight watchers and have been on it off and on for about 20 years. Weight Watchers works but I do think you need some type of community support. I have lost more weight on My Fitness Pal then on Weight Watcher. I learn more about food on here. Many people loose weight on watchers but I would do both if u were going to do ww. ....the logging on here is much better than counting points.

Good LUck
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you are the type that is a seld-motivator I don't think WW is going to get you anything that you can't get from MFP. However, if you are a person who needs lots of outside motivation maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Those that have said you can get everything that you need right here on MFP are correct. Search the forums for answers and if you can't find what you are looking for then post a question - there plenty of people out there willing ot help.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INSIGHT OF THE PROGRAM,I LOOKED INTO IT MORE AND IT'S COSTLY AND I THINK I'LL JUST STAY HERE.THANKS AGIAN YOU ALL BEEN VERY HELPFUL.
  • bethany_85
    Options
    I think WW is fantastic. I will say that MFP has better support, in my opinion. WW community boards are soooo big and there are so many topics and users that it's hard to get connected. I don't kow why but the boards on MFP seem more close knit.

So, here's my story. I have been doing WW on and off for years with good success (when I stuck with it). On Jan 1st I started over, doing on my own since I knew all the information and had all the materials. I lost 15 lbs pretty fast. Then my husband left on a military training thing and I stopped eating anything. I was down to around 600-700 calories a day...max 800. I didn't lose a thing (I know, I know... not good to eat that little). So, I joined MFP thinking if I logged my stuff online it would help keep me accountable. I started with the 2lbs a week/1200 calorie thing. Still no weight loss. I upped my calories to 1500. Still no weight loss. I would fluctuate a little up and down the same two lbs but never saw the scale move. I was keeping to my calories and excercising and logging everything and I was stuck. So I shelled out the money to do WW online (been doing it on and off for years) and this is my second week and I've lost 4lbs after being stuck for almost 6 weeks.

I think MFP can work for some people but I don't think it necessarily teaches how to have a lifestyle change like WW does. I guess you could argue that on either plan though if you choose to use all your calories or points on beer and pizza for the day, who would know. I just like how WW gives reminders to get your fruit, dairy, whole grains, lean proteins, etc in. You have to check those boxes off every day. Also I like that WW give you flexibility to splurge a day here and there without the big red negative calorie counter glaring at you since you went over your calories for the day.

One the other hand, MFP nicely tracks things like sodium, carbs, protein if that's something you are interested in. But I wouldn't knock it till you've tried it. Everyone on here, whether they said they would keep it up or not, all agreed that it works.
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do WW but on MFP-I track points on my own, just feel it's a waste to spend money when I have all the material...MFP just gives me a bit more inspiration...my points and calories for MFP always seem to match up, even when I use my AP's....the problem is with FP's like the previous post said, because you get that big red negative starring at you and makes you feel so guilty...doing it this way has worked for me....I'm down 10lbs since Jan 4 2010 and I feel great :flowerforyou:
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tried it online free for a week and did'nt really care for it and besides after the week it cost 17.95 a month..I found this site and i've lost 3 pounds..I've been here 2 weeks and I'm loving it...so easy to use and lots of support!
  • RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I liked it! I lost 25 pounds after my baby! It taught me how to control my cravings, and balance my food intake out over a day ( i was eating all my calories by 2pm before!) But once i reached my goal i stopped going. I stop in once a month to get a wake up call and thats good, but im going to try this now, only because I dont have time to go to the meeting. Hope this helps...
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started two weeks ago. I was able to sign up for 12 weeks of WW for $25 through my medical insurance. I NEED the accountability of getting on the scale in front of someone else. Plus, I know I have to go because if I don't weigh in for 10 of the 12 weeks, I forfeit the medical insurance discount in the future.

So far, it has worked well (or as well as it can work after almost 2 full weeks on the program-I weigh in again tonight btw). I go in for the Express section. Basically to weigh in and pick up new materials. This has worked well for me. I count the points in my WW booklet and a couple times a week I log into mfp and log all of my food. I need the comparison from points to calories.

We will see how things stand at the end of my 12 weeks. If I'm doing well and think I can manage on my own then I won't continue and use MFP for support and calorie/activity counting and a note pad to continue to make sure I'm still within my points.

I agree MFP is awesome as well as free but right now I need to face someone to be accountable. I've tried it on my own and keep yo-yoing up and down the same ten pounds over the past two years. Enough is enough. I had to pay for help.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost 43 lbs on WW. I have maintained the loss for 12 months now. I highly recommend it. MFP has its benefits as well, but I feel going to meeting and getting on a scale in front of the leader keeps me accountable. Actually I have been using the combination of the two and it has worked well for me. I have learned a mountain of new info from both sites.
  • sean23
    sean23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Did all of you that did WW eat all of your extra 35 calories every week? If so or not did it seem like you lost more eating them or less. The reason is my wife really eats healthy and only dips into the extra calories when we eat out once or twice a week only. She was doing great on WW until after the holidays. She gained about 4 or 5 pounds back. Before that she had consistently lost on average of a pound or pound and a half per week. Since New Years she went back to what was working for her and now she'll gain a pound or two one week then lose a pound. She is still 4 pounds heavier than she was right before Christmas and losing and gaining the same two pounds week by week and making no real progress. She still could lose 15 to 20 pounds and still be ok. Has anyone in WW had the same problem and what did you do to overcome it. We think maybe because she only eats at most 10 or more of the extra 35 weekly calories, maybe she isn't eating enough. Any help would be appreciated. We just can't understand why the weight loss was going so smoothly and consistently and all of a sudden she's right back to struggling like she had in the past. Thanks.
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    I had some trouble with that on WW. I did best when you didn't get 35 points but had more each day and could bank them during the week. I would try to eat in the next point level down when I got stuck and sometimes that worked. And they say to look at your journals to see what you were eating when you lost. But these things fluctuate. Maybe she could add more exercise.