Semi-homemade Chicken Enchiladas

Options
jrbowers83
jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
I made these delicious, easy enchiladas last night and they came out super delicious and pretty good for you. I served them with steamed brown rice with carrots and peas and some baked chips and salsa. A great lower cal, fat, and sodium alternative to Mexican restaurant.

Servings: 3 (2 enchiladas each)

6 fat free corn tortillas
8 oz. chicken breast
Mrs. Dash chipotle seasoning (to taste)
1 can red enchilada sauce
5 oz. queso quesadilla cheese

I cut the chicken into large chunks and boiled them with 1/2 can enchilada sauce , Mrs. Dash, and 3 cups water. Then I took the cooked meat out and fork-shredded it, then returned the shredded meat to the pan and boiled it down until all the liquid had been reabsorbed (about 30 min total) *
*as an alternative time saver, you could do the chicken in the crock pot with 2 cups more water. Cook on low for about 6 hours (while at work or busy with your day), then shred and boil remaining water down when dinnertime.
Warm the tortillas for about 60-90 seconds in microwave. Keep covered in paper towels or a tortilla server so they remain pliable. Meanwhile cut queso quesadilla in about 1/2" cubes. Spread 1 Tbsp enchilada sauce in bottom of casserole dish. Place 3 cubes cheese and 2 tbsp of chicken in center of tortilla and roll up. Place folded side down on top of sauce in casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over all tortillas, coating generously. Now top with remaining cheese cubes. Bake at 350 until all cheese is melted (about 12 min).

Nutrition Facts:
382 cals, 29g carb, 17 g fat, 32 g protein, 767 mg sodium

I am a cheese fiend, but you could easily save some cals and fat by just topping with cheese and not using in in the filling. For me it gave it that little extra oomph so I felt like I was treating myself.

Replies

• hollyroode
    Options
    MMMM I love enchiladas! Don't you love it when you cook something that is so good it feels like a treat, but it is still low in calories! That's how I feel when I have pita pizzas!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am so hungry right now.
    Can I eat these for breakfast ? :bigsmile:
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    Is it just called Queso Quesadilla cheese? I've never heard of that before. And I'm a big cheese girl! :-D

548355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump for later, thanks
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Is it just called Queso Quesadilla cheese? I've never heard of that before. And I'm a big cheese girl! :-D

548355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yes the brand I buy is Cacique, and at Walmart it is sold near the sour cream rather than with the regular cheeses. I like this cheese because it melts but still stays slightly firm, and is the kind typically used in restaurants to fill cheese enchiladas. If you can't find this, mozzarella or a colby jack cheese would make a good substitute.