When to Stop Counting

Options
I've been using MFP and Fitbit since the beginning of the year and have lost 20 pounds as an almost direct result. The almost is because an exercise program was an integral part of it. By using MFP daily, actually multiple times during each day, I've learned how to eat properly, what calories mean, and how to measure my intake. I'm now at the point where I'm just about at my target weight. My recordings in MFP are all after-the-fact, yet I still mostly am within my goals. I feel better and I look better.

I do go over occasionally, as I firmly believe that avoiding ALL that I've enjoyed in the past is NOT a good practice to follow. As I've looked at the MFP charts, I've discovered that when I do go over on particular days (e.g., a nice dinner out), I more than compensate the rest of the week. I have not had a single week since I've started where the weekly totals are not more expended than consumed.

I guess what I'm getting at is when does the lifestyle change take hold? I'm at the point where I won't binge, although I will go over on some days, only to be offset on others, I feel I now have the tools and, more importantly, the wherewithal to moderate my diet in accordance with my activity level. In fact, I've discovered that, on days where my activity is on the lower end of the scale, my caloric intake is, as well. This seems to me to be attainment of the goal I set out to reach. While I still record everything I intake, I no longer see it as a hammer over my head (may not be the best metaphor, admittedly).

My question, then, is: at what point is it OK to stop accounting for every bite or drink I take and to trust that I now know what "proper" eating is?

Replies

• CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would think (and this is just my opinion as everyone is different), that because we've been reliant upon MFP for keeping track of calories, workouts, etc., that it will take time to ease out of that daily accountability. I would say log every second day and when you're comfortable skipping a day, log every third day (skipping two days) until your comfortable doing that, etc., do this until you get to logging only once a week. Do that for a while and see how you feel, how you think you've been eating, etc.. If that's uncomfortable, go back to skipping a day or two until you feel comfortable again at the once a week stage.

It seems, though, that you're already on the right track with not feeling like you have the hammer over your head as you did at first, which is great (mine still looms above!). You have been at this a while, and you've acquired the knowledge and the tools to get you through. I don't think there's a clear indicator that will tell you "ok, you're ready to take off the training wheels!", I think that by weaning off of it as I've stated, that you'll find your feet and be just fine. Trust yourself :)