Weigh in Before of After Cheat Day?

Options
I know that a lot of you don't believe in "cheat days," but hey...it gives me something to look forward to all week, so I never really feel deprived. My definition of cheat day is a day on which I don't have to log (even though I do anyway, because it will help me make healthier choices in the future), because if I go over my caloric goal for that day, it's okay. It is NOT to be confused with a binge day. It's also scheduled, so I don't just get outta hand during the week and just say, "Oh well, guess today will be my cheat day..."

So my question is...Should I weigh in before my cheat day, or after? Does it make a difference? If my cheat day is on Saturday, what should my weekly weigh-in day be?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just do it the same every week, so you can compare apples to apples.
  • ae770
    ae770 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you should make your weigh-in day Tuesday or Wednesday, so it's affected as little as possible by your "cheat" day. And I don't think it's a bad idea to designate certain days where you can eat a little more. They even do that on The Biggest Loser, I think they add like 500 extra calories for their daily goal the day after they weigh in. Supposedly it helps boost your metabolism a bit and keeps you from feeling deprived. Anyways sorry for the long message, hope I helped some!
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week, and I prefer to weigh before. Depending on what I eat, it can throw the scale off more than a few pounds for the next day or two and I don't want to get discouraged. But I do log everything I enjoy during a cheat meal, just so I can see exactly what I am taking in. Good luck!
  • zoefitzy
    Options
    Weigh after cheat day - its motivation to not cheat so much! and maybe instead of "cheat day" have a "treat meal" once a week - less indulgent!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself once a week on the same day every week approx the same time wearing the same thing.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So my question is...Should I weigh in before my cheat day, or after? Does it make a difference? If my cheat day is on Saturday, what should my weekly weigh-in day be?

Friday.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh in on Monday and would get so upset that I would go up and down so bad due to what I did on the weekend. Now I weigh in on Friday's only. It's usually a good weight. If I have a not so great weekend - a little more cheating than I should - I have Monday through Thursday to get back on track. Since I struggle so hard to eat enough calories, weekends tend to be my body's way of balancing out the week.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Id say before

I always gain atleast 4 temporary pound that day

they r gone the next day
  • IMElektra
    IMElektra Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I now weigh in before cheat day because I find that when I weigh in after and see a weight gain, I get stressed up. I know it's temporary but still...

Then sometimes I tend to eat more just because I am stressed up.

For example this Fri, there is a festival meaning there will be food. Might as well call it a cheat day. So I will weigh in on Thurs. At least I am at my best weight of the week
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would weigh in before. I usually gain 4-5 lbs in water weight the day after a cheat day but only for like a day or two.
  • rhannie8
    rhannie8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love my MFP family so much. Thanks, everyone, for all of the helpful responses! Y'all keep me sane on my weight loss journey! :smooched:

(And I'm quite embarrassed that I put "of" instead of "or" in the post title. Don't judge me! lol)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider it a cheat day - but weekends are usually my worst days so I weigh on Friday morning. Then I can have my worst days and then the rest of the week to recover!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i hate cheat days thats just me...but i weigh in on sundays and if i had to have a cheat day it would be sunday right after weigh in then you get the rest of the week to be good plus its football so i guess cheat nachos, pizza and beer..hope this helps
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    Okay you guys quick question I cheated Saturday, and guess what, I have not gone back to my pre cheat day weight....

So I weigh myself on Fridays do you think it will be down by then?
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh on Monday morning to keep myself accountable for what I did over the weekend. Sometimes it helps me learn from mistakes, like if I over do it at a BBQ for a football game I know that I will not see a loss...helps me keep out of the chips and salsa lol and have some pop corn while watching the game
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    For me "Cheat Day" is any day that I get to over 1000Calories. Sorry if I'm not entering into the spirit of the thing
  • Jenat12
    Options
    I do the same thing as you! I pretty much eat whatever I want over the weekend so that I have something to look forward to and I don't feel deprived. I want to make it clear i'm not BINGING but if I feel like eating a slice of pizza then i'm not going to get mad at myself. I'll eat super clean and workout all week so I weigh myself on Fridays just as most people have said! =)
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I weigh in on Friday morning, every wk as soon as I get up before breakfast, I usually take my day off either sat or sun, so I weigh in before my 'cheat day'.

Incidentally, I prefer to call it a 'free day' because I dont think im cheating by relaxing my cals 1 daya week. In my opinion calling it a cheat day contributes to developing an unhealthy relationship with certain foods deemed 'bad for you' and I prefer not to do this. Everything is fine in moderation, thats what I say. I know most woud disagree but it works for me and helps to ensure the changes im making are sustainable.