Too much protien - Help !

Options
OK so i just started on this website on Tuesday, so far so good

I'm below my daily calories, fat and sodium but i'm quite a bit over on Protien

Is that bad ? I thought protien was good for you ? What is the effect of too much Protien ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am over on my protein too. I think it's the protein smooties that I make!
    I will interested to see the replies.
  • Ellie113
    Options
    me to....every day this is the one thing I go over!
  • KariandCo
    Options
    I know that personally I do better with more protein than carbs in my diet. I've done Atkins in the past, but that's really not a long-term diet option for me as I can't resist cereal for very long!

I wouldn't worry too much about being over on your protein, as long as everything else falls in place (under on carbs, good on fats, sodium, etc).
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i have changed my settings under custom goals and have increased my protein to 35% for the daily. i think protein is important and keeps me more satisfied. you can change the settings and percentages to whatever you want.
  • justmary4cm
    Options
    I have this "problem" too but here is what I know - of all the choices to be "over" on your eating plan - good quality protein (not the red meat kind) is not bad for you. It can be hard on the kidneys (or is it liver?) if you are excessively over like on the old Atkins diet but a moderate amount over is not going to hurt you and ultimately eating protein multiple times per day will prevent rebound hunger from carbs, fats etc. So don't worry too much about it as long as you are eating a balanced diet which includes fruits, veggies and dairy - which don't forget, dairy is a protein too... too much to think about! Remeber too, that if you are working out and trying to build muscle you need extra protein.

Mary
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    How far are you over? If it is 10 - 20, I wouldn't worry too much... but excessive protein over a long period of time puts pressure on your liver and kidneys. Unless you are an fast oxidizer even then I believe they want your protein set at 40%... don't quote me on that but my settings are 40 / Protein, 30 Carbs / 30 Fat ... :flowerforyou: Right or wrong - that's where mine are... I do much better with more protein - less hungry and minimal cravings.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    there is some concern that too much protein (especially animal protein) can cause kidney damage. if you're going over because of protein shakes or something, i would just cut out the protein powder and maybe make a smoothie with banana, peanut butter and unsweetened almond milk...you still get protein, but not quite as much, and you get a lot of other nutrients that are good for you!!! if you're getting too much protein from animal sources, cut back on animal foods and replace some with plant foods.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Thanks guys

The days i was over on Protien i exceeded my target by 10, 20 and 44

this was Cottage Cheese, Chicken breast and mainly fish (Salmon).
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    excess protein is really only contraindicated in people with kidney disease. for people with normal kidneys, your body will eliminate any excess protein. it will not cause kidney damage.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think the default settings for MFP for protein are too low (and sodium is too high, but that's another issue). If you have a sedentary lifestyle (i.e., an office job) and/or if you are reducing calories, then more protein is going to help you feel full longer and help preserve lean muscle mass.

The dangers of "too much" protein have been exaggerated IMO. In studies of protein consumption, they had people consume as much as 2.8 g of protein per kg of body weight with no ill effects. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, that's 190 g of protein a day. That's a freaking large amount of protein and I doubt you are eating that much.

However, if you are worried about your kidneys, you can drink more water. This helps them work more efficiently and process the protein.

Of course, this assumes you haven't got some sort of renal issues but have normal kidney functions.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I don't recall what the protein level is set at by MFP, but I customized my goals to have the percentages that my dietician gave me... 45% carbs (she said never go below 40%, carbs are the energy your body uses to run), 25% fats, 30% protein.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it is good to have a higher protein intake while you are on a calorie deficit - this way you can take care and try to sustain your muscles. While on a calorie deficit you lose fat and muscle, so through exercise and eating right (with some more protein) you can hopefully sustain your muscles while losing fat.

I am no professional - this is just what I have learned in the last few months.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. I've been a follower of Bill Phillps' Body-For-Life program for a long time, and he contends that the minimum protein intake for people who have lots of weight to lose and are also building muscle mass through strength training is 1g per 2 pounds of body weight. And as someone else pointed out on here, there is no reason to fear even more if you drink enough water.
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    Protein is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle. I try to take in 1.5 g protein per lb of body weight. It is very important for muscle recovery and muscle endurance. However, you can not take in a lot at one time or the body will just flush it out. That is why if you are trying to gain muscle mass you need to take in numerous servings of protein during the day and not a lot at one given meal. It is even more important for weight loss. If you are lowering the bodys calorie intake alone it will keep you full longer and also keep you from burning muscle as fast if you are also doing cardio. Lean muscle mass is the best way to lose lbs. High levels of protein + strength training + cardio = lean muscle =lbs off . I never truely understood this concept until I lost 56 lbs in 3months following that diet as well as doing p90x for the past 2 years. I now am 175 lbs and have been that way for nearly 2 years following that routine. I am also taking in 3500 calories a day and my body seems to burn it up.

so I say no such thing as too much protein!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You need a lot of protein! You should half of your body weight in grams of protein. I usually go over that between cottage cheese, protein shakes, bars, chicken, fish and turkey. You're body does not store it as fat. Make sure to drink a lot of water.
  • mush1958
    mush1958 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weight Watcher's says, "If you're going to cheat, cheat with protien". It takes your body more calories to digest protien than any other food!