Hints and tips!

Hello!

I eat very healthily and not too little, not too much during the day but then...........in the evenings there's this Jeykll and Hyde thing happening. I loose all will power and scoff stuff after dinner. it's not unhealthy stuff, just too much in quantity. I'd really like to break this cycle. Does anyone have any tips on how to kill the beast?

I'm off to work for a few hours so I'm not being rude if I don't answer.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Opening your diary would be helpful.

I find no obsessing too much over everything being healthy/clean is good. If you're craving chocolate have some chocolate just make it a small piece/fit it into your macro's. I think if you're constantly eating tuna, chicken, salmon, flank steak, salad's, etc it can get a little old and the longer you withhold certain foods the worse the craving gets and the more likely you are to over-inculdge/binge.

Make sure you're getting enough protein as this makes you feel fuller longer. Check out any carb/sugar that could be spiking insuilin levels leading to cravings/munchies.

Lots and lots of water helps me sometiems with late night cravings and planning/leaving some calories for after dnner helps me stay within my goals
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    I find drinking a pint of water before my evening meal helps curb the munchies :bigsmile:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I'd consider budgeting for a few extra evening snacks and calories. I'm a night owl also, and I find that I need to leave myself an extra few hundred calories so I can snack a little at night and not go over my calorie budget.

Also, make sure you're not undereating during the day and allowing yourself to get too hungry during the day. For me, when I do that, I have a bad habit of binge eating on junk food. It's important for me to stay fed and not get too hungry during the day.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Thank you for your replies so far.
    I don't need to open my diary as it's my habits that I'm trying to change, not what I eat.
    I need to stop picking in the evenings when I'm not hungry. I like the water idea.
    Thanks folks!
  • KateS211
    KateS211 Posts: 21 Member
    Ask yourself if you are really hungry. If the answer is no, do not allow yourself to eat. If the answer is yes, make yourself a light snack and enjoy.

As you mentioned, this is likely just a habit. And breaking a habit is hard! You will need to deprive yourself of that late night binge for several days. It will be really tough, and you are not going to like it. But after a bit you will stop expecting to eat at that particular time and it will become easier.

I wish there was an easier answer but unfortunately it just comes down to self-control.
  • painauxraisin
    Thank you! This is what I need to hear I think. It's such a mental thing, this weight loss.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Plan, plan, plan and only have "good" things around. Plan your meals out in the morning or the day before if you can so that when night time comes, you know exactly what you planned to have - also try and space it out if you can.

I probably complete most of my diary in the morning around 3-4 days out of every 7 and also leave a little bit for snacks. But I also keep low calorie snacks around and mini-cheeses work well. Most recently I got into diet soda (never been a big soda drinker - at all), but I find that it definitely keeps me from wanting to eat anything. (Last night I bought a low cal dessert that I love, but after having an Orangina light - it's not completely soda, but it's diet - I didn't feel like having my dessert :) ).
  • painauxraisin
    Thank you!
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    I'm kinda the same way. It hasn't messed up my weight, it just makes me feel like a freak. We need to stop worrying about what is "normal eating" There is no normal eating. Just love yourself anyway. We could be worse :)