The Invisalign Diet

Brenna
Brenna Posts: 126 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently (3 days ago) got the Invisalign braces. The way it works is that I can only drink water with the braces on my teeth and when I eat and drink, I have to take them off. It is the oddest feeling as I walked by a candy dish and grabbed a peppermint and realized, "hey, I can't eat this right now" or I would have to go to the bathroom take them off, eat the mint, then brush the braces and put them back on. It's A LOT of work for a silly piece of candy.

Then, I was making Pumpkin Enchiladas (sounds weird, but YUM!! - HungryGirl.com) and I wanted to taste the batter, take a few bites of the vegetables I chopped up, snack on a few nuts, etc. and I couldn't!! My braces have eliminated any possibility of me snacking!! I never realized how many small bites I take everyday- mostly not counting them as calories in my log (tsk, tsk).

So long, Snacking! I'll hopefully not see you in 1 year. I'm hoping that this new invisalign diet will become a habit. Three wonderful things are happening here: A, I drink TONS of water. B, I've completely eliminated snacking. And C, I'm on my way to straight teeth!!!

This comes highly recommended, folks. :bigsmile:

Replies

• I have full mouth bite adjuster things for my TMJ disorder and have found the same thing! It's such a pain in the butt to take it out at work to go brush it and my teeth after eating anything at all so I have cut back haha. I am supposed to wear mine even when eating so that my jaw adjusts to the proper placement while chewing also, but it's very awkward. I leave it in when I eat oatmeal or yogurt....but take it out for sandwiches. Oops....I'm just afraid of biting my tongue! But yes, very helpful on cutting down on mindless snacking :-)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    You would have thought I would have lost weight when I was on a soft-food/liquid diet for two weeks last summer during a TMJ flareup. Turns out that I can cram a lot of calories into smoothies and pudding, though!

Good luck with the teeth! Brushing my teeth gives me a similar feeling. They are so nice and clean, I don't want to go mucking them up with a bite of candy. Too bad I don't have time to brush my teeth every half hour!
  • Haha, this sounds a lot like my retainers. I couldn't eat or drink anything with them on, but now I only have to wear them at night.
    I think I might start wearing them throughout the day as well....
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    you lucky gal! I'm jealous! I gotta depend on will power.. :wink:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    I did the invisaling diet a couple of years ago! lol unfortuantly after a couple of months I got really good at popping them in and out quickly and shoving food down. I always changed them on Friday nights, so it did help a lot with not overeating on the weekend since my teeth were sore.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Kaitlinj, I am going through the exact same thing. My TMJ is in overdrive right now, and I am only eating soft things like yogurt, grits, etc. It is still a struggle to stay within my calories when I log the things I'm consuming! It seems like a nice reward for all this pain and hunger would be a little weight loss. No fair!
  • Hi Brenna - I don't plan to use the Invisiline diet but I LOVE the idea. How bout I wear my teeth grinding brace instead? LOL Hey I got Bob on board. He is now a member of myfitnesspal.com YAY!!
This discussion has been closed.