exercise for fat girl?

Options
So I dont need to sugar coat it or anything for myself... Im fat.. plain and simple and Im GOING to fix that.. so my question is what are some good ways to work out? I dont have achy knees or feet or anything that would normally happen to an obese person. I mean I do get out of breath but not just from walking here or there and I am active as in I run errands/go to the park with kids/ect ect but thats just everyday things... Haha sorry for the bio.. anyway.. I need a good solid work out routine and then I need to know how to switch it up.. if you can help me that would be awesome! Thanks! :)

Replies

• needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Anything. I started walking. Now do the treadmill and the elliptical machine. Haven't tried any classes yet just because of time. Do you belong to a gym? I found that working with a trainer who helped me set a routine. Tons of videos but I cant get into working out at home yet. Good luck in whatever you decide. Swimming is another good exercise.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lift weights 3X a week
    Do Cardio as needed
    Repeat

As long as you don't have any physical aliments, you can do pretty much any exercise routine that you think off. Just go slow and build up endurance.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    If you find it hard to move, I'd reccomend swimming (easy on joints, burns hudge amount of kcals and strenghtens your body) and walking ant first.

Also, here is a webpage with links to excercises you can do at home http://healthylivingforyou.tumblr.com/post/33916079554/full-body-cardio-workouts-full-body-cardio-core just pick the ones you like.

Good luck!
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I go jogging for 2 Km.. i started off with just walking and gradually started jogging
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Some fast walking for 30 - 60 minutes a day, around your park or something, should be enough to burn some cals. If you feel it's too easy switch to jogging or play with the speed. If you wanna switch then you can do cycling for some 60 minues or go to poll and swim. Basically any type of cardio with a lot of fast movements what takes your breath away and make you sweat and heart bump fast for 30 - 60 minutes in a row.

Lifting weights ant gonna do much for fat loss, it's cardio you need, unless you wanna also build some muscle to tone up...
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    For Cardio I would reccommend swimming, cycling and walking. If you want to get into running try the Couch to 5k programme, it's great for new runners, or those just getting back into exercise :)
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Walking. I found it's the best thing for me. Easy on the body and all you need is a good pair of shoes. I use runkeeper to help me keep track of time/distance/speed.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and do cardio. As for a workout routine, go to your local gym and hire a personal trainer to get you started, even if its only one session.
  • emjay126
    Options
    I heartily suggest you join one of those cheap no-frills gyms. We have a Fitness 19 in our area and for $19 a month, I have access to the best cardio and weights. When you first start, before you drop weight, pick low impact cardio stuff - elliptical, crossramp, etc. It's easier on your knees and you can work out harder without hurting. I know I should change up my workout, but to drop weight, I do as much cardio as I can every day. My metabolism is slow and I need to kick start it. I do an hour on the crossramp to a great iPod workout playlist (which is an elliptical with an incline) every morning, and it wakes me up and gets me ready for the day.

Oh yeah, if you're not sweating, you're not working hard enough!

I was embarrassed to go the first time, but then I realized that people go there of all shapes and sizes and the goal is to get healthy. Now that I'm down 61 pounds, I am proud of what I've done, and I want to keep going.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Move. Just move and keep moving. Do what suits your lifestyle and build on it. I started with a 20 min bike ride every day. Now 4 years on I'm slimmer than I've ever been, I've run a half marathon, I go to the gym, I've done so many fitness programs and I still exercise every day and love it. Just start somewhere.... the rest will follow if the motivation is there
  • duckster88
    Options
    I just brought a cross trainer and do it for 30 minutes a day. Love it and losing weight easily! I have a bad knee so its easy on that as well
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Walking was my first thing. I dropped the weight very quickly. I walked to uni, each way was about 25-30 mins. All uphill on the way back. I then started cycling everywhere I needed to go and that shifted most of the bulk. Those were great starters. It was really hard at first, especially as I weighed nearly 20 stone but it soon got easier.
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Walking has been working great for me. Add some resistance training, it really helps. As others mentioned, pool excercise will get your cardio in without putting a lot of stress on your joints.

Also, anything fun. I like dance-y aerobic classes, I started off maybe getting only 20 minutes in before taking a break but it's so fun once you catch your breath you join back in. Your indurance will build up if you keep at it and if you're having fun you will! Don't feel bad if you can't keep up with the instructor at first, they do it for a living. Just keep at it!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Personally I love running, but it's a preference thing. From the sounds of things you're not in as bad a shape as many obese people (those whose weight has damaged them in some way and limits their mobility), so it's really all you. Not to particularly advertise running, because it's just one option, but don't discard it out of hand just because of your weight. Despite what you may hear, as long as you do it properly, and work your way up, you can start running at most weights. I've seen women start as high as 300 pounds, and there were women at the half marathon I did this weeks who had to be pushing 250 (and you don't just get up one morning and decide to do a half, they'd been training).

if you chose to try running, start with walking. Once you can consistently walk 2-3 miles at a stretch look at the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. Whatever you chose to do, good luck on getting fit.
  • FlyRobynFly
    Options
    I recommend lifting weights, about 3 or 4 times a week to start. I got some work out routines from bodybuilding.com. They show you good form. Also do cardio 4 or 5 times a day. Start slow and build your time spent and intensity. Try different things, try to find something you find fun, so you will be motivated to keep at it. I use the elliptical, run and box a little bit. Biking is great fun as well. I did C25k, and that went well also. The main thing for me was just doing it in spite of how embarrassed I felt at my weight. I eventually discovered that most people are going to be very supportive and that haters are not going to change. I have lost 86 lbs. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer - walk 10,000 steps a day

yoga & do some weight lifting

new rules of lifting for women
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a good start. Lots of walking. Plus... I'm "fat" as well. But, I've been doing Jillian Michaels exercise videos on YouTube (including the 30 day shred video). It's brutal, though. I take a few breaths here and there throughout... but, I always finish it.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer - walk 10,000 steps a day

yoga & do some weight lifting

new rules of lifting for women

THIS***
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Start a strength training program that centers around barbell training, specifically squat, bench press, overhead press, and dead lifts.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Personally I love running, but it's a preference thing. From the sounds of things you're not in as bad a shape as many obese people (those whose weight has damaged them in some way and limits their mobility), so it's really all you. Not to particularly advertise running, because it's just one option, but don't discard it out of hand just because of your weight. Despite what you may hear, as long as you do it properly, and work your way up, you can start running at most weights. I've seen women start as high as 300 pounds, and there were women at the half marathon I did this weeks who had to be pushing 250 (and you don't just get up one morning and decide to do a half, they'd been training).

if you chose to try running, start with walking. Once you can consistently walk 2-3 miles at a stretch look at the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. Whatever you chose to do, good luck on getting fit.

Self-described fat people running is a recipe for significant joint issues and very little progress beyond the first 2 months newbie gains (which will quickly be negated by sedentary state of rehabbing said joint issues).