cereals!

Options
hey! I was wondering what your opinions were on these cereals:
-multigrain cheerios
-Vector
-Post Shreddies
(also Quaker instant oatmeals)

we usually have one of these cereals in the house, and most of the time I need a quick breakfast. Was just wondering if theyre actually as healthy as they claim, or if they're hidden with bad stuff.
What are some of YOUR favourite, HEALTHY cereals??

Replies

• Playingwithfire89
    Options
    I LOVE cheerios, and want them SO bad! But they always make me binge so its like...dangerous. I'm never satisfied by cereal:(
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Hate them all! My house = Raisin Bran, Special K, Rice Krispies, and Mini Wheats!! I eat these because I like the flavour, taste, and texture. And because sometimes I am too lazy to make a proper breakfast. But cereal and a banana? Or other fruit. Good breakfast for me.
  • MarcelineAbadeer
    MarcelineAbadeer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually only have one of them small weetabixes, those 50.5 calorie worth ones. If I get hungry I drink water and I keep telling myself NOT to over eat as it will set me back so bad.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    They are not bad, except I would stay away from the instant oatmeal...read the ingrediants list. My favourite it Fibre 1 Honey Nut clusters... very high fibre.
  • I don't think one 50.5 cal wheetabix is overeating :/
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat cereal, but when I do I prefer lucky charms.
  • msswinter
    Options
    I don't eat any of those, but maybe you could look at the nutrition labels and see which one has more fiber and less sugar, so it won't spike your bloodsugar and keep you full a little longer?
  • bruce1hood
    Options
    My wife and I like the multigrain cheeerios. She likes the fact that iron is provided. Some say, like Dr. Oz, that too the daily recommended dose of vitamin A is too much so I strive for less vitamin A than recommended.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Cherrios! :D I like that its only about 110cal for a whole cup.. where some ceral is more cals for like 1/2!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I avoid all cereals like the plague now. Very few have even a remotely viable protein content, and as such, are useless to me.
  • Courtabeth
    Courtabeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Special k Protein plus has 10 grams of protein. I eat 2 servings with 80 cal Greek yogurt. 30 grams of protein in one low cal meal. Pretty good.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Special k Protein plus has 10 grams of protein. I eat 2 servings with 80 cal Greek yogurt. 30 grams of protein in one low cal meal. Pretty good.

Yeah, my girlfriend bought some of that stuff a while back, but I just can't bring myself to eat anything that has a higher carb content than protein. That said, this stuff is probably anyone's best bet if they want any real balance from a cereal.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. It's all instant.

Don't pay extra for "Instant" in a fancy box. Buy the cheapest you can find.

Use a digital food scale (not cups or scoops) to measure.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I usually use a measuring cup, sometimes I use my food scale for cereal.
  • mbeverley1
    Options
    I like them all. But oatmeal leaves me satisfied for longer. No need to pay extra for special oatmeal like 'instant' - it's all instant, just buy the cheapest.

Whatever you eat, it's likely to be calorie dense so using cups will give you stealth calories. Do you have a digital food scale?
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating cereals about 2 years ago because of the high sugar and carb content. I used to snack on them a lot. it's like having a treat or a dessert.
    Breakfast is now eggs or sliced salmon etc. it keeps me full and offers more nutrition.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I avoid all cereals like the plague now. Very few have even a remotely viable protein content, and as such, are useless to me.

I agree, all cereal is a poor choice especially for breakfast - eggs & bacon, smoked salmon, veg, minute steak are all better choices.

Body is primed for fat burning in the morning and cereal just about wrecks this!

If you want to eat it then post workout and / or in the evening.
  • Cobweb200
    Options
    I don't eat any of those BUT I do eat regular porridge oats ( and always have a huge tub of them in the cupboard) and they take next to no time in the microwave along with some semi skimmed milk mixed with water and a teaspoon of runny honey. A very low calorie breakfast but it sticks with you all morning.

PLUS Porridge Oats are way cheaper that branded cereals! BONUS
  • Pinzog
    Pinzog Posts: 11
    Options
    Porridge for me. I must admit I do use the instant ones (original only, not flavoured), just because it's quickest. My morning usually involves dashing around at the last minute getting food ready then having breakfast at work. It didn't fill me up a great deal, but since I started adding some mixed seeds, it lasts a lot longer. I like that it's a smallish portion (partly why I get original - why are sainsburys flavoured porridges 10grams bigger??). I don't like small portions of cereals, it reminds me of when you'd get a multi-pack cereal box, which was cool, but it was always much smaller than you'd normally have, so I'd look at this bowl, excited at having my own box, but distraught about the small amount sitting there in my bowl. Oh the humanity!
  • missylawrie
    Options
    cereals are my fav for evenings after training and in the morning for a quick breakfast (weetabix and cherrios) I would just say always measure the portion as since I have started doing this I realized I was eating almost 3 bowls as an "average" bowl, 30 g is not a lot at all so it is not as filling as you think!