BodyPump?

Options
I am a regular in the cardio classes at the gym (mainly Zumba), yet I have never taken BodyPump. I'd like to, but I feel a bit intimidated by it for some reason. I feel like I basically have no muscle mass and I wouldn't want to embarrass myself. However, I would really like to incorporate some strength training and I think doing it a few times a week would be great. Has anyone ever tried it? Any words of encouragement? :)

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Do it! BodyPump is not for weighlifters, it's for ordinary people who want to be more toned, and you can achieve great results. Your instructor should show you what to do, and encourage you to use light weights until you are used to the moves. I go twice a week, and our class is almost exclusively women.
  • yma_g
    yma_g Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go for it, keep the weights low to start with until you get your form, there is plenty of time for increasing weights when you have built your confidence, endurance and strength up. Don't worry if others are lifting heavy weights, they all had to start somewhere. I love body pump and have found that where ever I have done it the people in the class are really friendly and will always help new people set up equipment. You won't embarrass your self, I am always impressed with anyone starting out with something new and I think in body pump the newbies can be better than the old timers because they actually listen to the instructor and work on getting the correct form! Hope you like it :)
  • nolachick85
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have fresh motivation now. I think I'll take a class this evening. I'm actually looking forward to it now!
  • Timkoetta
    Timkoetta Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the pump system that you use at home...I LOVE IT. :) I have never been to a class (I dont usually like going to classes) but I would LOVE to go to that class. Go for it!
  • lovetoruninNC
    Options
    I also have the home version and love it!
  • Malcah1
    Malcah1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just did a BodyPump.class last night for the first time and really enjoyed it. I, too, don't have a lot of muscle but you can start off with the smallest weights as is comfortable. No need to be embarassed, ladies were friendly when I.needed assistance. It was a challenge but great full body work out.:smooched:
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Do it! I have only taken it a few times (I don't have a YMCA membership but go with friends from time to time). It is a good workout.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was on the same boat as you. I did all cardio. I moved and started a new gym that has bodypump. I tried it for the first time last week. the instructor told me to do the lightest weights at first. so i did...it wasn't too hard at first because i started small. this week i have gone up in weights and it was great! the only thing is, i'm used to burning like at least 400 calories per class because I usually do cardio. This class only burnes 200 for me. which is fine. it's time i started toning, i just need to get used to burning lower calories!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Forget the calorie burn, it'll do wonders for your shape!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    My wife is a body pump instructor. As such she's "dragged" me to it 8 or 10 times over the last few years. I can give you an un-bias review of it here:

1)it's what's called a hybrid exercise activity. Because of the low weight and long sets, I wouldn't call it traditional weight training, it does a lot of muscular fatigue training, which means low weight/high reps. This is fine if your goal is to increase the amount of work a muscle group can perform without fatiguing.

2) It's not really a muscle building activity. To say this I first must clarify, if you have little muscle mass (I really should say little ACTIVE muscle mass) then you'll improve strength with body pump, to a point. It really won't make you a lot stronger unless your muscles are completely atrophied. And even then you'd have to take the class a few times a week for a few months to really see consistent results.

3) it's a good cardio routine to "mix it up". For those who have done a lot of cardio but haven't really changed up their routine, this class will really burn calories. Even though it's not considered high intensity, it really is high intensity for someone who's not used to it. Most people will over or under estimate their weight amount thus either making it to hard or to easy for them. Be outspoken with the instructor and ask for advice and corrections often.

4) this class isn't for those who have joint or bone problems. There's a lot of repetition with weight, someone with knee, ankle, hip, or shoulder problems should avoid this class or at least take it very carefully before going all out.

As a background, I'm a personal trainer myself with a certification from the United States Olympic Weight lifting team in Olympic Weight lifting. I'm also certified in AQR (Agility, Quickness, and Reaction time, a High Intensity Interval Training method). So yes, I know what it takes to lift weight. I regularly perform all three types of exercise activity with myself and clients (heavy resistance training, cardiovascular training, and hybrid training aka HIIT training), I know the difference quite well.

In my opinion, Body Pump is ok, not spectacular, it focuses on one specific aspect of resistance training (side note, heavy lifters would do well taking this class every other week or so to improve their muscular endurance). So if you want to do it to change up your routine, or to build a little muscular endurance, that's fine, but it shouldn't be your only method of resistance as it doesn't really increase strength very much.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    you should go

Its my favourite class, I started on 5kilo on my squat track and now im up to 30kilo, each time is progress!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Love Body Pump. I go to the weight room to actually make myself stronger and improve my lean body mass, but Body Pump is a great class for someone looking to tone. It has done wonders for me, and it's fun if you like the class atmosphere. There is a cardio element as well--this morning we did jump squats and my heart rate definitely went up! If you want to add to that, I frequently walk or run on the track outside the classroom for 5 or 10 minutes before the class so my heart rate is already up when I start.

The other posters are correct--don't be afraid to ask the instructor if you are doing it right or to show you the moves. Enjoy!