tips for lowering cholesterol

Options
soo I just blood work done and my doctor told me that I had very high cholesterol - 230 (i think thats overall). I'm 26 years old, female, I just ordered 30 day shred and I do zumba 2 days a week, I know I need to work on my logging and eating better so I just wanted to know if anyone had tips to lower my cholesterol. what kind of foods to avoid or increase eating?

also my hemoglobin was 9.2 and my b12 level was very low too - my doctor recommended taking a vitamin b12 complex and getting b12 shots

thanks

Replies

• sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have cholestrol issues too and have taken a statin-type prescription medication for more than 5 years. After losing 25 pounds and exercising regularly, my choleserol was very low and my doctor decided to take me off my medication for a trial. In 2 months I was rechecked and had lost a couple more pounds and continued execising, but my levels were high again. My physician says my cholesterol is high because I am a "producer" vs primarily a "consumer". Producers have a genetic predisposition to the liver over-producing cholesterol (had my gallbladder removed at age 22 due to gall stones which are made of cholesterol) and my mother was told the same thing many years ago. Consumers' cholestrol is high because of their diet and or inactivity. Mine was higher before my diet and weight-loss due to a combination of the two factors and therefore, with a genetic component, I must remain on a very low dose of the statin medication. I also continue to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I take a fish oil suppliment to increase my HDL (good cholesterol) because having better HDL also helps reduce some of the harmful health effects of high LDL. My triglicerides are excellent at this point, also pointing to better diet/exercise. Eating a lot of fruits, veggies, grilled meats, whole grains and limiting processed/packaged foods helps. Also, take medication if suggested by your doctor because it can reduce the harmful effects of high levels of cholesterol over time, even if temporarily until you determine if only diet and exercise will change your blood levels. Stroke and heart attack are the reality of high cholesterol and something I've seen enough of in my work and a few in my family to want to avoid. Good luck to you.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if i am a producer or a consumer. I had my gallbladder out in 2007 but that was due to acid reflux issues or something. I've never had high colesterol before.

thanks
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can anyone else provide some tips or ideas?