New runner struggling. Need advise.

Options
2»

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you mean rest from running or rest from all exercise? I very rarely take a day off from all excercise. I like my food too much. :happy:
    That could be the problem! Rest days are very important - the body needs time to rest and repair. I always take at least one day per week, sometimes two on days when I wake up & the body just says no! LOL I recently took four full days off from all exercise and it was wonderful. Weird at first, but I came back feeling so much better and stronger for it. I would have taken the whole week off, but had a 5k color run on the weekend. :tongue:

As for eating on those days off - you may also need to up your calories. 1200 isn't a heck of a lot, and while I don't know your stats as far as height, weight, and all that, you are doing a LOT of exercise, especially if you're getting 1000 calorie burns on a regular basis.

I'm set at 1800 a day (44 years old, 5'8", 137lbs), and even with that I sometimes go over on rest days. But I'm still losing the fat and having to purchase smaller clothes on a regular basis! Food is fuel! Sounds like you're putting some pretty high demands on your body, but not giving it much rest or fuel - could be why your legs were protesting on that run.

Check out this topic about over-training and under-eating: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Also this topic has been very useful to me and many others here at MFP, for setting our calorie goals manually and having great success with more than 1200 a day: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Edited to add: I see LoraF83 posted the same link! :bigsmile: *highfives*

High five to you too!!! :happy:
  • glosettes
    glosettes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    remember to massage your muscles too. I used to use the foam roller but I found that after a while the roller tend to lose shape, now I used trigger points therapy roller. It hurts like hell when you are tight but it loosens up your knots instantly.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Clarification on my running. I am really slow. I do 14.3 for each mile. lol

Phew! I was feeling really inadequate ;)

LOL Ditto! I'm at 33:35 as my official 5K time and I've been running for almost 5 months!

Figured that was a typo. That would have won the NCAA 5K championship.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'll play devils advocate and tell you it's not your legs or running, it's your mind. Keep going. The first two miles are the toughest for me always. Keep moving, keep running. Try drinking some caffeine before you head out the door. There is nothing wrong other than your mind playing tricks on you. Tell yourself or doesn't matter and make your legs behave.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I find that running is a mental sport..I have a very difficult time getting past the first mile and sometimes I literaly talk myself out of finishing, other days it's a breeze and I can run for miles. Rest, hydration, calorie intake, so many varibles all play into it too. IMHO your'e asking too much from your body with too few calories.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info. I will try to remember what some of you have asked.

I am 5'5" and currently weigh154. I am lossing approximately 1.5 pounds each week. Sometimes a little less or more. But never have lost 2 pounds (other than first week). So think my calories are appropriate.

I don't do caffeine. So having some before I run is out of the question.

I stretch for about 4 minutes before I run and 25 minutes of yoga stretching for a runner after. I walk for about 3-4 minutes before and after I run as warm up and cool down.

I did the run/walk/run/walk thing for several weeks before running the complete 5k.

I have very good running shoes that are fitted for me.

I drink water in the middle of the night and also on my run. And also drink throughout the day.

I am almost always under on the carbs. Not because I am watching them or trying to cut them out. It just seems to happen. Not too much under though.

I don't get as much sleep as I should. 5-7 hours a night.

I notice the vague ache/fatigue feeling even during the day if I am doing flights of stairs and carrying a baby up those flights. Or running around with the kids. So it isn't just when I run. But strange that I don't really notice the fatigue when I zumba, swim or eliptical. It is a all over leg fatigue and not just in the shins, thighs or any other localized place.

Guess I am taking Monday's off for awhile. That is the day that is easiest to keep the calories down to my 1200 based on what is happening on that day.

Again. Thanks,
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I don't usually self promote, but I wrote this blog and have gotten a lot of positive feedback saying it helped people get through their wall.

Maybe it will help...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/running-my-bs-and-cs-to-breaking-through-the-wall-357514
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    based on the fact it takes you 45mins to do 5k you clearly are at the beginning of your road to fitness. Training everyday is gonna to be too much. Rest is a vital part of any regime - that;'s when your body adapts to meet the new demands you are putting on it.

I'd say run 4 days - rest 3 - or do some light crosstraining. Even runners that can do 15min 5ks take days off!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info. I will try to remember what some of you have asked.

I am 5'5" and currently weigh154. I am lossing approximately 1.5 pounds each week. Sometimes a little less or more. But never have lost 2 pounds (other than first week). So think my calories are appropriate.

I don't do caffeine. So having some before I run is out of the question.

I stretch for about 4 minutes before I run and 25 minutes of yoga stretching for a runner after. I walk for about 3-4 minutes before and after I run as warm up and cool down.

I did the run/walk/run/walk thing for several weeks before running the complete 5k.

I have very good running shoes that are fitted for me.

I drink water in the middle of the night and also on my run. And also drink throughout the day.

I am almost always under on the carbs. Not because I am watching them or trying to cut them out. It just seems to happen. Not too much under though.

I don't get as much sleep as I should. 5-7 hours a night.

I notice the vague ache/fatigue feeling even during the day if I am doing flights of stairs and carrying a baby up those flights. Or running around with the kids. So it isn't just when I run. But strange that I don't really notice the fatigue when I zumba, swim or eliptical. It is a all over leg fatigue and not just in the shins, thighs or any other localized place.

Guess I am taking Monday's off for awhile. That is the day that is easiest to keep the calories down to my 1200 based on what is happening on that day.

Again. Thanks,

I too find 1200 really hard to stick to on non-exercise days. On those days, I allow myself to go over, up to 1400. It hasn't hampered my losses and is much easier for me to stick too!

I ran my first 5 miles ever on Saturday. On Sunday, I walked 5K. I went running last night and it was an absolute disaster LOL. I normally have a rest day before I run, so I'm blaming my bad run on the fact that I didn't have one ;-)