How low do you go ( squat)

Options
jesz124
jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
I'm really inflexible and have always struggled going really low with my squats. Basically im wondering if this will this hinder my progress? (I'm doing stronglifts presently, 7 sessions in) Opinions pleaseeeee!!

Replies

• wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You should be hitting parallel at a minimum. Top of the thigh should be parallel to the floor. If you can go lower, great, but parallel is the highest you should go. And yes, inflexibility will eventually hinder progress on a linear program like stronglifts as the weights get heavier.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A2G on front and back squats - the lower you go the less strain on the knees but as above, at least parallel.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You want to be at least parallel and if you go lower it is easier on your joints. Just take it slow!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You should be hitting parallel at a minimum. And yes, inflexibility will eventually hinder progress on a linear program like stronglifts as the weights get heavier.

This.
    Your hip crease should be below the top of your knee when in the bottom of the squat.
    If you aren't hitting that depth, drop the weight until you can properly do them.

mobilitywod.com has some great mobility work for your hips, really helped me open mine up and start squatting deeper
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not trying to derail the topic or be clever - serious question. I prefer to do bodyweight exercises because I like the challenge so my squats have progressed from normal no-weighted squats to one legged squats with empty leg bent behind off the floor and now working on squatting with the empty leg straight out in front.(pistol squat) - a real challenge to your balance and core.

My question is - do you sink the pistol squat to where your butt sits on your standing heel or to where the squatting thigh is paralell to the floor and then up? At the moment if I sink to the floor I can't push back out of "the hole".

Any thoughts?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering while i was squatting yesterday if i was going deep enough. i go parallel, but wondered if it was beneficial to go further!

thanks!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I go an inch or 2 below where I feel the activation of my hamstrings and glutes, which for me is a few inches below parallel.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Is there a danger of opening up the knee joint too much under a heavy load if you go too low beyond paralell or are you supposed to lift the squat from your butt sitting right down on your heels? This would also affect each individual according to flexibility in the Achilles tendon as well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Slightly below parallel. The key is to find your stretch reflex.
    I have terrible flexibility and can hit parallel np with proper form.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A common view is that full squats are bad for the knees because they require the knees to travel forward over the toes.

There is no evidence that having the knee travel forward over the toe is bad for the knees.

An analysis performed on cadavers found that the pressure on the knee decreases as the knee flexion angle increases from parallel to 120°... this would be the bottom part of the squat that scares many people!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I'm really inflexible and have always struggled going really low with my squats. Basically im wondering if this will this hinder my progress? (I'm doing stronglifts presently, 7 sessions in) Opinions pleaseeeee!!

What does your stance position look like (feet) and where are your toes pointed?
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    go as low as you can....

what helped me?

wear FLAT hard soled shoes- running shoes are too wobbly and i lose my balance under the 100+ lbs im lifting
    i don't have oly shoes, so i throw some 10lb or 5lb plates under my heels if i need a little more mobility.
    and finally, as you drop down push your knees outwards which will allow you to drop your hips lower!

bam :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    A2G on front and back squats - the lower you go the less strain on the knees but as above, at least parallel.

This. I go *ss to grass as well!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    A common view is that full squats are bad for the knees because they require the knees to travel forward over the toes.

There is no evidence that having the knee travel forward over the toe is bad for the knees.

An analysis performed on cadavers found that the pressure on the knee decreases as the knee flexion angle increases from parallel to 120°... this would be the bottom part of the squat that scares many people!

It's an improper view. As you can easily break parallel without forward knee travel.
    very true about the knee thing though. breaking parallel is actually better for your knees
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm not flexible either, at all, but I go pretty deep, feel it in my hipflexors a bit. The goal it to get your legs (top of them) parallel to the floor or a little deeper (the crest of your hip should be below your knee) You may have to lighten the weight and slow the movement down until you get it.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    You should work to go as low as you can go.

If you are having trouble hitting parallel with a barbell on your back. Try goblet squats as a great way to learn the correct technique/motor pattern for the squat. You can progress this buy holding heavier & heavier dumbells/kettlebells, then once you reach the heaviest bumbell/kettlebell you should have the technique down and can move onto the barbell :-)
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    *kitten* to grass for best results imo. I lightened the weight at first and slowly increased it over time.. have had no issues with joints or anything else knock on wood!
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    <--- I find going low feels better and seems to be less strain on my knees... Just keep working on mobility and work your way up on weights :drinker:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I break parallel, and no lower. I get that some people like going ATG, and that's fine, but I see no reason to.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ATG - The lower the better