30g sugar!?

Options
I recently started logging my food in the morning to help plan out my day. Today I thought I planned a pretty healthy day within my calories (my diary is public so feel free to check it out) but I am way over the allotted 30g of sugar! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• polza1888
    polza1888 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Probably best not monitoring sugar much, I've never watched my sugar intake, i'd imagine if i was i'd always be way over
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sugar intake is very hard to keep low. One or two pieces of fruit is enough to send you over.

Focus on your other macros and calorie intake first. If you're really concerned about the sugar or find it's affecting your health (diabetic), then you can adjust. But if you're just starting out with weight loss, I wouldn't be too concerned with it providing you're eating healthy.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. Fruit has a lot of sugar. If you intend to eat fruit or drink milk (and you should, in my opinion) then you can't worry about the sugar. I always looked at mine as no more than 30g of ADDED sugar a day, which includes any incidental sugar in pre-packaged food or condiments, not just actual table sugar you add yourself.

Look at your apple alone: you would only have 4g left. You can't sweat that.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    30g of sugar is nothing. Two bananas has almost 40.
  • katiegrl6
    Options
    Sugar is such a struggle!!

I'm using 'The 17-day-diet' as a guideline for how to structure my meals. I am anti-fad-diet but reading this book laid out a healthy way for me to structure my eating, since one of my biggest issues was just grazing and never really thinking about what or when I feed my body. It's also helped me understand my own metabolism a bit more.

The biggest challenge for me is cutting my sugar intake. It's helpful because it's forced me to actually examine my sugar intake, but it's also discouraging as I am really aiming not t have any sugary things (for the first cycle of 17 days) my sugar intake is always 'in the red'.

I found that choosing my weekly weight-loss-target changed my 'acceptable sugar intake'. The higher the goal the lower the sugar. So while my goal is 2 lbs/wk my sugar intake is targeted for 24g…completely impossible. I love oranges and 1 orange is 12g of sugar.

I've resolved to getting as CLOSE to that number as I can without going crazy. I also focus on eating less processed sugars. One thing I've cut out is activia yogurt smoothies. At 25 g of sugar/7oz, for me, it's doing more harm than help. Instead I've taken to making my own with kefir milk for a total of 17g/16oz smoothie and equal probiotic benefits.

I guess what I'm getting at is sugar is a struggle for a lot of people, and it is not the end-all be-all to dieting success. Don't let it discourage you, let it guide you instead (easier said than done, I know), at the very least, using my sugar goal as a guideline to shape my food decisions has been really helpful for me. Either way, you are absolutely not doing anything wrong!! Good luck!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I recently started logging my food in the morning to help plan out my day. Today I thought I planned a pretty healthy day within my calories (my diary is public so feel free to check it out) but I am way over the allotted 30g of sugar! What am I doing wrong?

Change out your fruit for meat and you'll cut fat much more effectively.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm eating yogurt as we speak...26g of sugar in it :-(
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Probably best not monitoring sugar much, I've never watched my sugar intake, i'd imagine if i was i'd always be way over
    This, as long as you stick to your calorie and overall macro goals, sugar doesn't matter. You're already tracking carbs, sugar is just a carb, no reason to track it twice.