Complements

Options
Ok, so i'm almost down 20lbs now. :smile: I have a 2more to go and i'll reach that, but still have a good ways to go on my journey. & I guess now its starting to become more noticeable. I've had people telling me that i look good and great job, which are nice to hear. :bigsmile:

But then you get some complements that you go...."was that really a complement or?" :huh:

Like i've had someone say to me "oh you look skinnier" or "wow you've lost how much?" But those are said in the tone of voice of like wow i never thought you could do it. :noway:

So what do you say back to something like that w/o looking like u got slapped in the face? This is the first time I've lost this much weight at this rate and have had this much weight to lose. How have you guys handeled it? What did you say back? Should you feel like it's a double slap? Or just take it smile and say thank you?

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Smile, and continue walking. Who cares what others say? All that matters is that you're doing this, and screw them if they try to derail you.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It really sucks that people get so jealous of those that put forth an effort to lose weight and get healthy. They are jealous. Just smile and say 'Thank You' and continue on. Don't let them see that it bothers you. You aren't doing it for them, so who cares what they think. Good for you for doing the work to make your life better!

And congrats on your progress so far!!
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    thank you! :happy:
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to tell you how proud of you I am...not for "getting skinny"...lol. That's a side benefit! But working out and being healthy. You are not unhealthy now, but you are taking control of your future. I love that you look at the upcoming races and say "what do we do next??" Even though I know running is not your favorite thing to do (YET!), you are putting in the effort.

Keep it up, see the results, and be proud of yourself. Everything else is a side benefit!
  • meggolego
    Options
    I think it is also awkward for some people because they want to compliment you on your weight loss, but are unsure of how to say it without sounding like they're insulting how you looked before. Usually, I just accept that they've noticed and take it as a compliment, try not to over think it.