Calories burned during exercise using Polar 4?

Options
I have a Polar 4(I think that's the way you say it), that I used all summer running. I've never been a runner but health has become very important to me now that I have a 2 year old watching everything I do. While running, I burned 500 to 700 calories in 45 minutes to an hour. Now that It's cold outside, I have started doing Supreme 90 inside (cheap version of p 90x) and in an hour session (I do 2 DVD's in a row), I only burn about 400 calories. I've heard people say that p 90x, supreme 90 and insanitary burn 600 to 800 calories an hour, but I don't burn near that much. I push myself, always get at least 12 reps in, sometimes push to 15, started with 5 lb weights and now for the most part I use 8lbs and 14lbs, depending on the lift.
Why do I burn so much fewer calories during Supreme 90 than I do running? I'm almost thinking it would be just as healthy and I would lose more weight if I stayed with running all the time?
Also, why do I burn fewer calories than a lot of people burn during supreme 90? I'm sweating during Supreme 90, but I"m not soaked through 100%, just 50%?

Also, if it helps I'm 5foot 4 inches and 148lbs. I'm considered overweight by BMI but my body measurements show my body fat percentage isn't over weight. I don't have 6 pack abs, but I'm not jiggly mush either. I've been trying to loose weight for at least a year, and have only lost 5 lbs, but I've toned up a lot. I've maintained a weight of about 150lbs for 14 years now.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any exercise that burns as many calories as running. Running will give me about 300 calories per half hour, cycling is about 225 and most workout programs less than that. It's because your HR needs to be constantly elevated up into the higher ranges to get those huge burns and lifting weights, etc just doesn't do it. All those workouts are great for building muscle which is a key to having higher calorie burns just in general but no matter how hard you try it just doesn't keep your HR in that high burn zone.
  • SlimT05
    SlimT05 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar 4 as well and noticed the same thing and my husband had to educate me. When you do more cardio you burn more calories initially and lose water weight quickly. With P90x and exercise progams like those, you are doing more strength training and burn fewer calories, but you are burning more fat. With cardio exercises you burn those calories for that hour and that's it. With strength training, while you may burn fewer calories for the 45 minutes to an hour of doing it, it allows you to continue to burn more calories throughout the day. This is why most work out programs include 2-3 days of strength training throughout the week as well as cardio. Hope this helps.
  • 52josephine
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that information, it was very, very helpful. A lot of the informaiton most of us know, but, some how seem to forget. It's nice to be reminded. The information you just shared was also told to me by my personal trainer.:smile::smile: