exercise for fat girl?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So I dont need to sugar coat it or anything for myself... Im fat.. plain and simple and Im GOING to fix that.. so my question is what are some good ways to work out? I dont have achy knees or feet or anything that would normally happen to an obese person. I mean I do get out of breath but not just from walking here or there and I am active as in I run errands/go to the park with kids/ect ect but thats just everyday things... Haha sorry for the bio.. anyway.. I need a good solid work out routine and then I need to know how to switch it up.. if you can help me that would be awesome! Thanks! :)

It is important to lift weights. Find a good free weight program for women. I've heard that The New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women is a good starter program. You need some cardio as well but you won't build a pretty body on cardio alone.

I lifted weights and did cardio when I was obese. It helped to have some muscle tone once I lost the fat.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just finished a triathlon (sprint) and 5k foam/mud run within 6 days of eachother and I'm 275... don't stop yourself from doing something because you think you're 'fat'. That's only an excuse. What I do say is listen to your body and STRETCH!! Good luck :)
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When I started working out again I weighed 259 and I started working out to the wii. I have found that the works best for me and there are many different ways to exercise on the wii all of which are effective. If you do not have a wii get out there and walk, buy some workout videos. I have heard alot about the Jullian Michaels workout videos. Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Kudos to you for deciding to change your lifestyle.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There's lots of things to try - but what do YOU like??? I've started and restarted p90x since I bought it in March. I like some of the workouts but one hour a day is a lot to ask for in my household apparently. :grumble:

I love the outdoors and fresh air. I love the change of scenery and getting out (I'm at a desk 9 hours a day), so running fit me perfectly. I started with not being able to jog to the mailbox so I added the Couch 2 5k app to my phone. I repeat weeks that were too hard for me and built up my endurance. I've added 5k events to keep me motivated and "in training" for something. I've added speed interval training (courtesy of Zombies, Run! app) to keep me challenged and will be starting my 5k to 10k training after I finish my last c25k session today.

I tried machines (treadmill, ellyptical, stairs) and they're just not for me, but they fit better for some. What I can say is cardio is essential to up your metabolism, heart health and overall fitness. Weight training is also crucial to build muscle (which burns fat and gains strength). Light or heavy - whatever you prefer, but find the workouts that are ENJOYABLE and you'll have an easier time sticking with it.:bigsmile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It must hurt to say "I'm fat" and mean it. But, it's gut-wrenchingly honest, and honesty is where change stems from. So that's your first step!

Anything is good exercise if it gets your heart rate up, makes you sweat, and most importantly, is something that you enjoy doing enough to stick to some kind of schedule. I suggest you join a gym that offers a variety of classes (mine is $20 a month). Then take every class that even remotely appeals to you. Try everything at least once. Zumba, pilates, yoga (though for weight loss you will probably want to supplement yoga with more cardiovascular activity), spinning, aerobics, sports conditioning, TRX, kickboxing, circuit training classes, everything. See what sticks.

My "oh god I'm fat" moment caused me to find a martial arts gym in my area and that's when my transformation started. I fell in love with kickboxing and yoga. Find something you fall in love with, it will make every ounce of difference.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's the same for everyone, whether morbidly obese, obese, overweight, or someone who needs to lose just a few pounds: resistance training to preserve muscle and some form of cardio that you enjoy and, therefore, will do the most often, to burn fat.

Because you're restricting calories, it's smart to preserve glycogen for resistance training and use fat stores for your cardio. The best way to do that is to weight train in the 4 to 6 repetition range and walk.

I've lost 105 lbs. and 27% body fat in 9 months while barely breaking a sweat. Of course, this sort of result assumes that you're in a weekly calorie deficit somewhere between 3,500 to 10,500, when all the math is done.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Self-described fat people running is a recipe for significant joint issues and very little progress beyond the first 2 months newbie gains (which will quickly be negated by sedentary state of rehabbing said joint issues).

Yep, heard it before. "Running is bad for joints" "Running is bad for fat people" "Running will kill you".... Got it. Except it's bull****. Assuming you use a proper training plan: start with walking, move on to intervals, eventually run short distances and increase slowly over time; running is good for your joints. Like every other part of your body, your joints are strengthened by stress. Assuming you don't overdo the stress and injure yourself (which you can just as easily do by lifting to much to fast or overdoing any exercise), running strengthens joints by stressing them.

Now, that said, there are limits to anything, and if you're more than 300 or so pounds you might want to lose a few pounds before you start running. On the other hand, the first step is walking, and when you can walk a few miles there's a good chance you've already dipped below 300.
  • estellem75
    estellem75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started running doing the Couch to 5K running program which instructs you on how to run using baby steps via pod casts. There is a website that explains the program. I have just started week 8 (its 3 runs per week) and have gone from strugging to run for 1 minute to this morning running for 28 minutes non stop. This equates to about 2.5 miles for me, and although its is physically and mentally challenging, it gets your heart pounding and burns those calories. It is a struggle to get motivated to do a run but afterwards I feel proud of myself for doing it, the chemicals your body releases after exercise makes me feel good and physically throughout the next day I feel nice and stretched. It definately is a cheap and effective way of toning legs, tum and arms and of course improves your breathing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also if you don't already have issues with your joints, I see no reason why you can't run, if running is what you want to do. If it turns out that it's really bothersome to your joints, then stop, but I wouldn't ever tell someone they are too fat to run. I see overweight people at races all the time, often ahead of me...
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Visit FitnessBlender. They have low-impact, beginner options, also more challenging workouts.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Some fast walking for 30 - 60 minutes a day, around your park or something, should be enough to burn some cals. If you feel it's too easy switch to jogging or play with the speed. If you wanna switch then you can do cycling for some 60 minues or go to poll and swim. Basically any type of cardio with a lot of fast movements what takes your breath away and make you sweat and heart bump fast for 30 - 60 minutes in a row.

Lifting weights ant gonna do much for fat loss, it's cardio you need, unless you wanna also build some muscle to tone up...

Lifting weights builds muscle, the more muscle your body has the more calories it burns to maintain that muscle. Also, building muscle and strength help prevent injuries and support your joints. While I agree cardio is important for someone who is "fat", weights are equally important. The muscle also helps keep your skin tighter as you lose fat instead of just sagging. Personally, I get the best results when I do 4 days of lifting and 2 of cardio. Sometimes I will do a little additional cardio on lifting days, I lift in the morning and sometimes will just do a 1 mile jog in the afternoon, nothing too intense.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Personally I love running, but it's a preference thing. From the sounds of things you're not in as bad a shape as many obese people (those whose weight has damaged them in some way and limits their mobility), so it's really all you. Not to particularly advertise running, because it's just one option, but don't discard it out of hand just because of your weight. Despite what you may hear, as long as you do it properly, and work your way up, you can start running at most weights. I've seen women start as high as 300 pounds, and there were women at the half marathon I did this weeks who had to be pushing 250 (and you don't just get up one morning and decide to do a half, they'd been training).

if you chose to try running, start with walking. Once you can consistently walk 2-3 miles at a stretch look at the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. Whatever you chose to do, good luck on getting fit.

I agree with this, I am 256lbs and I just started a Couch to Half Marathon training plan. I don't have to many body related issues due to my weight, except for plantar fascitis, but I am keeping that in check with foot braces and exercising the foot muscles. It is easy, it requires nothing but nice running shoes a road and determination and honestly even after only 2 weeks on the training plan I am noticing a difference in myself.

I also cross train, on my non running days I lift weights and swim or I do classes. It helps to keep it interesting. Honestly if you find something you like just do it. Hiking, Swimming, Running, Jogging or even P90X.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Don't limit yourself. Be realistic, of course, but don't tell yourself there's ANYTHING you can't do. My mantra has been, "I'll try anything once." If a certain type of exercise appeals to you, try it. If it works for you, fantastic. Keep doing it. If not, maybe put it on the back shelf for a while until you are in better shape, then try it again. No matter what, just remember, "The biggest failure of all is to never have tried in the first place."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise you want to do ...... just start slowly ... and gradually build up.

If you find high impact starts giving you joint pain ... ease up & mix in low impact days as well.

Something to get you started .... you don't need equipment ... or even much space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related
    Walking workouts are really low impact "no-brainer" aerobics.

Check you local library or hulu.com for exercise DVDs .... keep trying new stuff out until you find something you enjoy. collagevideo.com has video clips & reviews so you can see what you're getting (they list impact level, fitness level, equipment needed, etc.)
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    run bike swim :)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Self-described fat people running is a recipe for significant joint issues and very little progress beyond the first 2 months newbie gains (which will quickly be negated by sedentary state of rehabbing said joint issues).

Yep, heard it before. "Running is bad for joints" "Running is bad for fat people" "Running will kill you".... Got it. Except it's bull****. Assuming you use a proper training plan: start with walking, move on to intervals, eventually run short distances and increase slowly over time; running is good for your joints. Like every other part of your body, your joints are strengthened by stress. Assuming you don't overdo the stress and injure yourself (which you can just as easily do by lifting to much to fast or overdoing any exercise), running strengthens joints by stressing them.

Now, that said, there are limits to anything, and if you're more than 300 or so pounds you might want to lose a few pounds before you start running. On the other hand, the first step is walking, and when you can walk a few miles there's a good chance you've already dipped below 300.

Then this should have been your first reply...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Walking is GREAT! When I started walking, I did have achy knees and joints, and I could not walk really far. But I lost weight really quickly, and now I walk really long distances. No more aches and pains, and the weight is melting off. I have added a recumbent bike also in the last couple of weeks.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the cardiovascular activities at this point (not to say strength training would not have its place but if you are obese it would probably be better to tackle that problem first...). As others have said, walking and running are good, swimming as well, you may also like biking. Be aware that often with increased exercise people tend to eat more - you will want to keep that in check and maintain a caloric deficit (within reason, folks) to lose weight.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I joined group fitness classes. When I started Kickboxing Jam, I had to take water breaks every 10 minutes and was sore for days. Now 5 weeks in (I go to KJ every Monday) I need only one water break in 60 minutes, can kick nearly as high as everyone else, and the group classes keep me from stopping or giving up. It's a fun atmosphere and all fitness levels are welcome!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Anything is good exercise if it gets your heart rate up, makes you sweat, and most importantly, is something that you enjoy doing enough to stick to some kind of schedule. I suggest you join a gym that offers a variety of classes (mine is $20 a month). Then take every class that even remotely appeals to you. Try everything at least once. Zumba, pilates, yoga (though for weight loss you will probably want to supplement yoga with more cardiovascular activity), spinning, aerobics, sports conditioning, TRX, kickboxing, circuit training classes, everything. See what sticks.

Yes yes and yes! Great advice.