Greek yogurt / fruit juices

Options
I don't know what Greek yogurt is, but keep hearing that I should try it. I don't particulary like yogurt though. Do any of you eat it? And where can I find it to try it?

Fruit juices.... I would think juices are better to drink than soda, but I looked at the labels today and saw that a lot of them have tons of sugar in them. It is all natural 100% juice, but still a lot of sugar.. Is this alright?

Thanks guys! :smile:

one more thing... when I log my exercises and I gain calories, am I supposed to eat those added? So that actually increases my caloric intake depending on my exercises... Is that right?

Replies

• dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In my opinion juices should be limited, even those that are one hundred percent. And keep in mind one serving is only a half cup. A better idea if you are thirsty is to have a glass of water and a piece of fruit. That way you get all the vitamins and the fibre as well. The sugar and calorie hit to the body with juice is the same as with pop.
  • becabunny
    becabunny Posts: 22
    Options
    Greek yogurt is typically creamy, a little tangier, and higher in protein. I really enjoy it. I prefer Fage and StonyField. Yoplait's had an odd texture. It is different and I would recommend Fage's yogurt that includes the fruit on the side. The strawberry tastes like a strawberries and cream dessert when you mix the fruit in! If you go to the Fage website it kind of gives a run down on how it is made!
  • ssearle
    ssearle Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt, I recommend Chobani, I love the peach. Don't get the vanilla or honey, or plain for that matter, the rest of them have fruit on the bottom and they're awesome!
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    I'm Greek and have been eating Greek yogurt since i was a baby! lol

I eat the original plain Fage Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of honey drizzled on top.... and sometimes some Fiber-One cereal on top (like a teaspoon or two). Its delicious! I either have it for breakfast or dinner. I eat the original one that isn't fat free... its 260 calories for the whole cup. It's a lot, but its filling. So if you have that for breakfast with a little bit of honey or fruit it should be fine for your calorie intake.

If you really are worried about calories then you can try one the different fat free ones they have. I personally don't like the taste of them... so i just manage my calories accordingly.

If you have any questions, just send me a message!

P.S. Fage really IS a Greek Yogurt. Other companies now are making their own "Greek Yogurt".... and obviously it's not. So if you want real Greek yogurt, go for Fage. It's quite a bit different than any other yogurt you've tried... i'm pretty sure of that.
  • mudgemoe
    mudgemoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've heard Chobani is really good. I'm not a yogurt fan either - but I did have some Light and Lively last week - and I bought Yoplait light yesterday - not too bad - I guess you get used to the taste after a while! As far as juices - I basically drink water and if I want some flavor - I add Crystal light to it. I bought the indiviual ones that you add to 16 oz bottle of water. I really like the Orange one in the morning.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. Taste wise, I prefer Fage (and unlike the poster above, I love the taste of the 2% and 0% which both have significantly fewer calories). HOWEVER, some of the other brands (Stoneyfield's Oikos, and Chobani I know fur sure) have more yogurt cultures. Fage has 2 but Oikos and Chobani each have 5. So, you'll get the benefit of 3 extra different yogurt cultures with Oikos and Chobani. They're all good, IMO.
    Plain greek yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream.

As for fruit juice, I prefer (and recommend) not drinking calories. I'd rather eat the piece of fruit rather than drink the juice (and it's more beneficial to you that way because the fiber is included). It's a personal preference for me.