Mashed cauliflouer

Options
I tried this for the first time last night. I don't know if I did it right though... I boiled cauliflouer until soft, mashed, added milk and a very little bit of sour cream.

Wasn't great... Any secret spices I should throw in? Favourite recipes?

Replies

• Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Roast it instead of baking it, add bacon, use heavy cream instead of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. It's MUCH better.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One word. Why?
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    One word. Why?

Looking for interesting and tasty ways to get my veggies.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I loooove mashed cauliflower! I can eat it pretty much plain. I add salt and pepper and fat free ranch instead of sour cream. I'd even skip the milk if you choose to go with ranch. It gives it much more flavor.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I make a low carb mac n cheese using cauliflower. It's tasty and a nice side dish.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Paprika helps a lot. You can also do it with curry if you like that Indian flavor (I do). It's also really good if you add capers.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    I love cauliflower Mash

I make mine by steaming until mushy, throw it in a food blender with about a teaspoon of butter, garlic puree and the odd time I put grated cheese into it and it tastes lush.

You deffo need to have a spice or flavouring in it else it can be pretty bland. I find the garlic or the cheese helps :)
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Avocados might be good with it too!!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    In the recipes section do a search for Garlic Roasted Cauliflower. It's really good.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You could try adding some curry paste and spinach. Make an Sag Gobi or something like that.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like to add tumeric.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My favorite is twice baked loaded cauliflower! It's unbelievable!!!

Twice Baked Cauliflower
    (Makes 6-8 servings; recipe adapted slightly from The Low Carb Gourmet.)

Ingredients:
    1 large head cauliflower
    4 oz. low fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
    1/2 cup low fat sour cream (do not use fat free)
    1/4 cup minced green onions
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (If you only have finely grated Parmesan, use a bit less)
    6 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, fat blotted with paper towel and then crumbled
    1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
    (I used Kraft 2% milk sharp cheddar)

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft. Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks. Mix in light cream cheese, light sour cream, green onion, Parmesan, and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon.

Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with low-fat cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wow these ideas sound amazing! thx guys
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Boiled mine, then mashed it with 1 uncooked onion and about 12 uncooked garlic cloves, juice of 1/2 lemon and 2 tbsp of tahini sauce. Great both cold as a dip (like hummus) or heated like mashed potatoes.