Crossfit

Options
Any fellow crossfit-ers out there?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard good things.

The only thing really keeping me from bothering with it is this: the people who dominate in the crossfit competitions don't use the commercial crossfit program for training. What they use is more like Westside. That seems like a problem to me, if you think about it.
  • Dakota26
    Dakota26 Posts: 132
    Options
    I actually use westside to help with my power lifting, but manly to help stabilize my muscles.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Yep - here I am! There are some dedicated CF forums on here - check Crossfit Love
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep
  • Dakota26
    Options
    Awesome thanks!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    wanted to join the local crossfit gym until i saw the price of the membership
  • Dakota26
    Options
    yeah some places can be a pretty penny
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    love it, I have the best coaches! I am away for a few days and miss working out in a group. I just cannot muster the motivation alone as I do with my fellow crossfitters.
  • Dakota26
    Options
    Yeah man its awesome, I just started getting a group of friends to join my competition team. they're learning lol
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard good things.

The only thing really keeping me from bothering with it is this: the people who dominate in the crossfit competitions don't use the commercial crossfit program for training. What they use is more like Westside. That seems like a problem to me, if you think about it.

While untrue you are the only one missing out with this attitude.
    If you try it, you'll either love it or hate it. If you love it, then eventually you'll come to understand why crossfitters start to use good strength programs that work in conjunction with their crossfit.
    It's called a hybrid programming - much like outlaw.
    There is also GPP (general physical preparedness) like what dot-com and/or CFNE provides and rest assured, there are plenty of competitors using this type of programming.
    For the most part, however, the programming provided that you see is for the masses. A lot, but not all, of the top level competitors will write their own programming and/or have a coach specially program it for them. The rest of the gym will do something else. It's no different than High School football vs the NFL. I liken what you are saying is that a 12 year old kid is going to say "I'm not going to play football because the NFL guys train differently than my high school team does".
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love it. I don't think I'm your typical crossfitter - I'm 51 and 50 pounds overweight. I have knee and wrist issues and modify most workouts. But I feel I'm getting stronger every workout.

Tammy
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yep, LOVE IT!!! Best coaches and so much fun!!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I actually use westside to help with my power lifting, but manly to help stabilize my muscles.

As a fellow power lifter, crossfit wods are great.... in moderation. If you join a CF gym and start doing their WODS every day, your lifts will plateau or go down. I do a CF WOD once a week as one of my cardio days, followed by a heavy Olympic lift work out.

Though if you goal is to get out of power lifting and get more fit, crossfit is one of many viable options. You will very likely get weaker (depending on how long you've been power lifting) but you will be faster, and likely more flexible.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I would love to go, but the cost is unreal.
    first, we have to pay $200 for an hour long beginner class.
    Then, $50 for a general "can you do this without breaking an arm?" test.
    Then $375/month for for four sessions a week, not including special holiday challenges (which are $35/holiday).

I feel like the boxes are popping up because its super popular and you can make a fortune. makes me wonder if any in my area are even qualified :/

BUT! i do the WOD at home about 3-5 days a week!
  • Dakota26
    Options
    Thats why I incorporate west side into my routine also. I'm sure you know who Aj Roberts is? He's coming out of retirement of power lifting to train for the crossfit games.
  • Dakota26
    Options
    luckily my gym is a regular, gym and a warehouse for mma and crossfit. only cost $31 a month!
  • Plates559
    Options
    Ok so you aren't really a power lifter then are you... Sounds and looks like you've been CFing longer than you've been power lifting.
  • Dakota26
    Options
    When I played hockey My main lifts were squat and deadlift, but that was for muscle endurance and power. I started power lifting jun5th and my gains have been staggering.
  • Plates559
    Options
    Cool when is your next power lifting competition?
  • Dakota26
    Options
    Never did a competition but there is one in myrtle beach i believe in November. I might try it out with my friend. He won the junior power lifting title for south Carolina last year, hes helped me out a lot.