Largest meal of the day??

Options
What is usually your largest meal of the day? Mine is dinner.But I am thinking I should make it breakfast

Replies

• SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that either we are supposed to break up our meals into five small meals a day or your lunch should be the largest. I am not sure which is true.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you take in your calories; just take them in.

As for me, it's dinner, by necessity. I can't really bring food with me easily, so I bring prepared foods to work and eat properly at home.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Mine is lunch. A big lunch makes me eat lighter at dinner & gives me something to look forward to after breakfast.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals, but dinner definitely tends to be the biggest.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that either we are supposed to break up our meals into five small meals a day or your lunch should be the largest. I am not sure which is true.
    The five meals a day thing is a myth. Do whatever YOU personally prefer.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It doesn't really matter which you prefer if your calorie intake is the same. I prefer several small meals throughout the day.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a large dinner - if I ever have a large lunch I just end up wanting a large dinner as well! :laugh:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have 6-8 meals a day with lunch being the largest on most days and sometimes its breakfast.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The five meals a day thing is a myth. Do whatever YOU personally prefer.

It isnt a myth if you are trying to build muscle, just if you think it will help you lose weight faster. the eating more often thing works wonderfully for me :-)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    All of my meals (6) tend to be the same amount of calories. There are some exceptions depending on what I am eating for Dinner that Dinner would be my biggest calorie intake.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Dinner! Just because that's when I'm most hungry.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    mine is quite often dinner- dinner is my favorite meal so i always try to save some extra calories for that.

lately i've been spacing my calories out more evenly though with snacks and smaller meals distributed throughout the day.
    i never feel hungry or deprived that way because i am ALWAYS eating haha.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do my harder work outs in the morning and more walking/elliptical work in the afternoon evenings, I can't get hungry enough for a decent breakfast unless I eat less for dinner. I try for net 1300 calories a day, and do 400 for breakfast, 500 lunch and 400 dinner. I usually eat my work out calories back in snacks or mid-meals. If I know that we are doing something different for dinner (eating out or eating something special) I modify my other meals to accommodate.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my largest meal of the day because I eat dinner late and don't want to sotre up too much calories then...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    What is usually your largest meal of the day? Mine is dinner.But I am thinking I should make it breakfast

Mine is almost always supper (I live in Maine, so "dinner" generally refers to the noontime meal here, so I use "supper" for clarity).

I have a moderate breakfast and eat my lunch as a bunch of snacks throughout the day, then when I get home I have a solid supper.

I don't ascribe to any theory about snacking maintaining metabolism or anything magical like that - but I do feel that it helps keep me away from the vending machine at 10AM when I start getting peckish if I can simply start in on my healthy lunch, and the 2PM doldrums tend to go away when I can nosh on a banana and some almonds, which tend to keep me satisfied until I get home for supper.

So I guess the big question for you is - why do you feel breakfast needs to be the big meal for your day? Because someone told you that eating a large meal at supper is somehow not metabolized by the body and turns instantly to fat instead? Or because you find yourself hungry mid-morning and you'd like some more sustenance to get through the day?

To lose weight, watch your calories taken for a week. Don't worry about timing of those calories.
    To lose weight with optimal health benefit, also track your macros (protein, fat, carbs) and eat them in reasonable proportion.
    To lose weight with optimal health benefit and the least hunger, time your meals so you are eating when you are hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, eat a very big post workout lunch, and a very big dinner, and then I snack up until bedtime.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Lunch has been my biggest meal lately. But I would like for Breakfast to be my biggest meal
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Dinner
  • atomicpoppy
    Options
    Dinner.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Dinner. I've always been a big dinner eater.