I need some expertise?

Options
Since August, when I joined, I have been doing 45 minutes of cardio and then some weight lifting. I've dropped 8lbs (says 6 on here because I teeter-totter on the other two and do not count that as weight loss on here)..When I do cardio I feel like I'm actually working out because I'm sweating it all out and feel slimmer..when I do strength training, I feel stronger (not slimmer). This sounds like such a noobie question, but if I do continue to strength train only, will I actually lose weight? or just create muscle.. I want to lose some fat, tone up some muscles and then find myself in my perfect niche. I don't want to just lose fat (and muscle), or bulk up and look heavy. What do you recommend?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Change is weight is mostly affected by calorie consumption. You can reach your goals with strength training and diet alone, or optionally add cardio to help create a calorie deficit. You can find a ton of info on all of it here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Change is weight is mostly affected by calorie consumption. You can reach your goals with strength training and diet alone, or optionally add cardio to help create a calorie deficit. You can find a ton of info on all of it here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Great link to read for people starting out. But yes, as they said....weight loss comes from a deficit. If you use cardio to hit that deficit that is great, but you get the same results just being in a defecit.

Strength training is important for toning, will get you the look as opposed to the number on the scale. I guess it depends which one you are looking for...I think most of us want to look good rather than weigh less if we could pick between the two.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    I would love to see the weight scale move to the 130's that I want, but if I can look 130 and be 150, I wouldn't care. I've dropped 8 lbs and don't see a bit of difference except slightly toned legs (but that is due to the strength training)
  • tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should also consider how your clothes fit. I found that when I'm heavy into the weight training and core training, my weight will not change, but my clothes are looser.

Sometimes it isn't all about the number on the scale. Sometimes it is about how you feel.

Just remember, a 1lb of muscle weighs as much as a 1lb of fat, it just takes up less space.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would love to see the weight scale move to the 130's that I want, but if I can look 130 and be 150, I wouldn't care.

This is a great mentality. If you don't care about scale weight start weight lifting more.

You seem like this article will speak volumes to you.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Maybe you should also consider how your clothes fit. I found that when I'm heavy into the weight training and core training, my weight will not change, but my clothes are looser.

Sometimes it isn't all about the number on the scale. Sometimes it is about how you feel.

Just remember, a 1lb of muscle weighs as much as a 1lb of fat, it just takes up less space.

And that's where I don't see a difference and am getting frustrated. I figured I would be able to tell a small difference with almost 10 lbs off..but it's not there. Maybe I'm just frustrated and overthinking this.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The fitness game is a life long one, give it more time. You are still so young.
  • Hadiyeh
    Options
    For your goals I would suggest circuit training. (Weights with cardio intervals) Boot Camp style classes and most of Jillian Michaels workouts (she does have a yoga and a couple cardio ones also) are a good place to start. Its kind of the best of both worlds. 30 Day Shred is a good one to start with (its only about 20 min), or a more advanced one is No More Trouble Zones.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    dont get discouraged keep doing what you are doing it will eventually begin to show more and more... my progress has been slow but i never game up and now my legs are defined and my man boobs are practically gone. I also do something similar to what you do with the 45 minutes of cadio followed by the strength training.

before you know people will begin noticing your progress too which is always a boost to let you know your sweat is paying off.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    The fitness game is a life long one, give it more time. You are still so young.

I may be young, but battling with weight since birth, just makes me young and pissed off lol. :)
  • badb33st
    badb33st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    invest in a body mapping scale they are a much better way of judging whether you are ahcieving your goals. using weight as a target is very misleading as resistance training often adds weight but reduces fat i.e leaner but heavier.
    make a goal sheet with your end goal (not weight) divide that by your time frame and that gives you a running goal.
    then use a combination of clean diet and cardio and resistance and you will start do drop weight p.s if you find the magic ratio of what works let me know :)
    also be prepared for a platau thats when its time to mix it up or up your game. pm me if you want some advice J :smile:
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I don't have anyone really to motivate me. My friends think I'm crazy when I start looking up calories to things, my family has practically disowned me (kidding, but they're not happy), and the only ones that I can really ask questions and talk to is my MFP-ers. :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

And that's where I don't see a difference and am getting frustrated. I figured I would be able to tell a small difference with almost 10 lbs off..but it's not there. Maybe I'm just frustrated and overthinking this.

If you are truly 10 pounds lighter...it came off from somewhere. :)

It may not be where you want it to come from, but its gone...keep at it and the body will start sheding it from other places. I promise you if you look hard enough, you'll see 10 pounds gone from legs, butt, breast, stomach or arms....which one is up to your body...cant spot reduce.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If your goal is to retain muscle mass and lose fat, the best protocol is to do strength training followed by some steady, low intensity cardio. Doing high intensity cardio you will lose weight, but a greater percentage of that weight will be muscle mass. And as a female, you already don't have that much muscle to begin with, so you wanna aim to minimize muscle loss.

So how does that translate into a workout routine? I would do low volume full body workout followed be 20-30 min steady pace treadmill walk or elliptical. Don't be sweating, huffing and puffing on the thing, just keep it low-moderate intensity.

But most importantly is your diet. You have by the end of the day to be at a caloric deficit. Figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and aim to consume 200-300 calories less every day. Do this and you will see some steady fat loss.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    If your goal is to retain muscle mass and lose fat, the best protocol is to do strength training followed by some steady, low intensity cardio. Doing high intensity cardio you will lose weight, but a greater percentage of that weight will be muscle mass. And as a female, you already don't have that much muscle to begin with, so you wanna aim to minimize muscle loss.

So how does that translate into a workout routine? I would do low volume full body workout followed be 20-30 min steady pace treadmill walk or elliptical. Don't be sweating, huffing and puffing on the thing, just keep it low-moderate intensity.

But most importantly is your diet. You have by the end of the day to be at a caloric deficit. Figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and aim to consume 200-300 calories less every day. Do this and you will see some steady fat loss.

Thank you. I am at a caloric deficit every day. Still learning how to be at all my macros instead of going over some (I do allow myself to be human though). This sounds like an exercise I can do. I gained the legs I have now from walking on that damn treadmill huffing and puffing, but I'd like to have a serving of those same legs with a side dish of muscle. :)

Thank you all for contributing to this post though..I really do read everyone's advice and then find what works best for me. But considering I'm a noob, it's very helpful to have some information to go on.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    bump