butternut squash recipes?

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
My sister gave me two butternut squash. Anyone have any recipes that is something other than cutting them in half and roasting them?

Replies

• doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually peel, and cube them. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil, and then sprinkle a little salt and fresh ground pepper on it. Roast it that way on a cookie sheet at 400°F for 45-55 minutes. Be sure to turn it a few times while roasting. You can even add other spices to mix it up if you want.
  • chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are some great butternut squash and apple soup recipes out there. That's a fall favorite for me.
  • shelagh50
    shelagh50 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make chips with them and cook them in my hot air fryer, they are scrumy!!!! I also use them on top of Shepherds pie instead of potato
  • grapeape09
    Options
    I am sitting here right now eating butternut squash risotto. I got the recipe from skinnytaste.com & it is so yummy!
  • Walawender33
    Walawender33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    make soup. put an onion and some garlic and olive oil in a pot and cook till the onion start to become transparent. add chopped sweet potatos, carrots, celery, peeled and diced butternut squash, organic vegetable broth and salt and pepper. bring to a boil then lower heat and cover. simmer until all vegetables are well cooked. blend into a puree add more broth if you want it a bit thinner. I like to add a cinnomon stick while it simmers and take it out before i puree it
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    PIE!! omg it taste almost like pumpkin pie and it sooooo good!!!
  • dsn1118
    dsn1118 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    make soup. put an onion and some garlic and olive oil in a pot and cook till the onion start to become transparent. add chopped sweet potatos, carrots, celery, peeled and diced butternut squash, organic vegetable broth and salt and pepper. bring to a boil then lower heat and cover. simmer until all vegetables are well cooked. blend into a puree add more broth if you want it a bit thinner. I like to add a cinnomon stick while it simmers and take it out before i puree it

Oh my goodness, this sounds so good! Will have to try it, but can you tell me how much broth?
  • ashley_NM
    ashley_NM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I made this (butternut "alfredo") Sunday and it was amazing!! Next time I might try tossing in some sun dried tomatoes or broccoli or something with the pasta, but it's awesome on its own too: http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/roasted-butternut-alfredo/
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    bump
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Kale and butternut squash 4 servings-350 calories per serving/10g protein, 49g carbs, 17g fat, 8g fiber, 364 sodium

2 tbs evoo
    3 lbs butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
    1/2 cup diced yellow onion
    2 garlic cloves minced
    4 1/2 cups chopped fresh kale
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tbs dried cranberries
    4 tbs chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
    4 tbs crumbled goat cheese

1. In large skillet heat oil over med/high heat. Add squash, onion and garlic and cook, stirring contantly, until squash is lightly browned and slightly tender, about 7 minutes
    2. Add kale, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook until kale is wilted and squash is tender, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
    3. Add cranberries and nuts. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I had a bumper crop of butternut squash this year! Last week I made a Healthy, no added fat, butternut squash soup with chicken apple sausage that my bf devoured. Each bowl was less than 200 calories. Easy, healthy and yummy.

Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Chicken Sausage

1 medium butternut squash (~4 cups of cubed butternut squash)
    1 small onion chopped
    1 Tb chopped garlic
    4 cups chicken stock
    Al Fresco Apple sausage cut into bite sized slices
    Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste

Peel, seed and cube butternut squash. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock to stock pan on med-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and simmer a few minutes then add cubed butternut squash and remainder of chicken stock, add salt and pepper and bring to boil. Lower heat to med-low and cover. Place sliced sausage on a foil lined broiler pan and broil until browned. Simmer until squash is tender. You can puree the squash in a blender if you like the soup smooth, or mash it right in the pan if you like it thicker. Taste and season with more salt and pepper and nutmeg if desired. Serve soup in bowl garnished with browned sausage slices. Yummy! :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cut them, sprinkle with olive oil and fresh thyme and roast them, but don't stop there. Also roast 2 garlic buibs (the whole thing, not just 2 cloves). Once everything is soft and yummy, put it in a pan with some chicken or vegetable stock and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer until the squash is mushy, then puree in a soup. It's incredibly creamy tasting but no cream is used. Serve with a little dollop of fresh salsa or pico de gallo.

Another good option is to roast or stew it with a pork loin or tenderloin. Toss in some root vegetables like turnips, parsnips, beets or rutugaga as well.

I have a recipe for a barley squash risotto that uses butternut squash and walnuts that is super yummy but I don't remember it or have access to it right now.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is delicious! Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar.

http://www.padmaskitchen.com/2008/09/roasted-butternut-sqaush-with-rosemary.html