Christmas challenges

Options
It is that time of year when you start getting invited to christmas parties etc. So far, I am confirmed at one but thinking in order to stay on track I should say no to the others I want to attend (3 more in total) because I don't have a choice about the food, they are all set menu and high in calories.

What does everyone else do at this time of year, do you not attend the parties or go and just eat / drink moderately?

Replies

• alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've never been invited to a party, let alone parties, but I if I were, I would say eat a meal before you go so you're not hungry. Then you could just nibble on whatever is the healthiest item there & not feel guilty. My downfall is always fudge, so I would have a hard time NOT having a piece at every function!

Good luck & stay strong!
  • tarajoneill
    tarajoneill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go and I chew gum entire time. If I have gum in my mouth, everything else tastes nasty. Pigs in a blanket and spearmint gum, ew. lol
  • apokorn
    Options
    DO NOT GO WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!!!!

Besides that drinking water, chewing gum, bringing a health alternative (for yourself or the group).

Have a set plan before you get there, like I will have a small piece of cake and eat off the veggie platter. Do not divert from your plan and do not feel guilty for it as long as you log it.

Good luck, I have more trouble with Halloween myself.

Angie
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    Good ideas, I will probably leave early also because it is no fun being sober and watching everyone else get drunk. All I think about now is calories and I would much rather eat than drink alcohol. The problem is with these things I always feel like people zone in if you aren't pigging out with them and keep trying to offer you food. We should have a MFP christmas party with all low calorie food :drinker:
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    DO NOT GO WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!!!!

Besides that drinking water, chewing gum, bringing a health alternative (for yourself or the group).

Have a set plan before you get there, like I will have a small piece of cake and eat off the veggie platter. Do not divert from your plan and do not feel guilty for it as long as you log it.

Good luck, I have more trouble with Halloween myself.

Angie

Thanks - now you made me think about candy lol!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I fully plan on eating Christmas treats, I just promise myself to not get carried away and get FULL on them like I normally do :) Gotta live, you know
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, I will probably leave early also because it is no fun being sober and watching everyone else get drunk. All I think about now is calories and I would much rather eat than drink alcohol. The problem is with these things I always feel like people zone in if you aren't pigging out with them and keep trying to offer you food. We should have a MFP christmas party with all low calorie food :drinker:

Eating before you go is a great idea .. and I would just plan for these parties. You'll have to exercise a bit more and be strict around those days before and after.. but just go and have fun! it's once a year this holiday comes around. You can even allow yourself the token . "well .. I know it's gonna happen - but I will not gain more than 5 lbs this season" .. or something reasonable.

Have a drink .. eat some food. Don't pig out and don't go drinking yourself to oblivion. Everything in moderation. You have most likely trained yourself very well to be more aware of what you are putting into your body. But the holidays are super special treat days .. plan accordingly so you can enjoy your time with family and friends. Share that slice of pie with your partner or kids .. have one drink .. not 4. Don't be shy about asking for water or something less caloric (if they're offering coffee/tea) than an alcoholic beverage after your one drink. Have a piece of fudge, a macaroon .. small piece of sugary goodness. Stick with the veggie platters if you can, and take smaller portions of everything else.. enjoy! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • arifrancesca
    Options

Eating before you go is a great idea .. and I would just plan for these parties. You'll have to exercise a bit more and be strict around those days before and after.. but just go and have fun! it's once a year this holiday comes around. You can even allow yourself the token . "well .. I know it's gonna happen - but I will not gain more than 5 lbs this season" .. or something reasonable.

Have a drink .. eat some food. Don't pig out and don't go drinking yourself to oblivion. Everything in moderation. You have most likely trained yourself very well to be more aware of what you are putting into your body. But the holidays are super special treat days .. plan accordingly so you can enjoy your time with family and friends. Share that slice of pie with your partner or kids .. have one drink .. not 4. Don't be shy about asking for water or something less caloric (if they're offering coffee/tea) than an alcoholic beverage after your one drink. Have a piece of fudge, a macaroon .. small piece of sugary goodness. Stick with the veggie platters if you can, and take smaller portions of everything else.. enjoy! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Got it - moderation sounds better then not going! I will plan to eat before and exercise hard on the weeks I go to a party :smile:

I really love MFP, thanks for the support.