Eat before or after the gym?

Options
Hi guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on this? I'm heading to the gym at 6pm for a couple of hours, I dont like eating too late and I hear thats bad for your metabolism!

Also in need of some new friends on here if anyone fancies that! :)

Replies

• jade0113
    jade0113 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always heard eat foods high in protein within 30 mins of working out!! Or a protein shake or something :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, I eat anytime I am hungry...I don't think your metabolism minds what time you eat ; ) Also 2 hours in the gym?! Damn, I keep my workouts between 45 mins and an hour max...
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Friend me if ya like. Eating before is a matter of preference. You say a couple of hours and anything more than about 45 minutes at the gym tends to get counter productive. Cortisol increases as a reaction to the stress and the body may start to break down muscle to fuel the work.

Just my opinion based on medical journals and news stories. A morning and evening 45 minutes each is more effective than a single 1:30 session.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I always feel better and stronger if I eat about an hour before I go to the gym. If I don't eat then I feel run down and out of energy halfway through my workout.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on this? I'm heading to the gym at 6pm for a couple of hours, I dont like eating too late and I hear thats bad for your metabolism!

Eating "too late" is not bad for your metabolism nor does it cause weight gain given that we are only comparing nutrient timing and not quantity.

As far as whether or not you eat pre or post workout, I would base this decision primarily on:

1) Personal preference.
    2) Gym performance.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do both! it's important to get protein right after to replenish your body.
    I know a lot of people don't eat beforehand, but I find it personally gives me more energy to work out harder and longer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Eating "too late" is not bad for your metabolism nor does it cause weight gain given that we are only comparing nutrient timing and not quantity.

As far as whether or not you eat pre or post workout, I would base this decision primarily on:

1) Personal preference.
    2) Gym performance.

^totally this.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I do both. I eat a little bit before because I feel like it gives me more energy. And I usually have a small snack like fruit or something afterwards because I'm usually hungry after working out.
  • dashforcover
    Options
    If you are at the gym for 2 hours, you might want check with a trainer about a midsession break for consumption of something other than water (which I assume you do during).
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Also in need of some new friends on here if anyone fancies that! :)
    When I was a young guy and in incredible shape I used to have some fruit and protein prior to major workouts in a protein smoothie form... I did just fine with it... My workout partner used to wind up revisiting whatever he consumed, even water if he ate or drank prior to a workout... He would cramp up doing leg or upper body exercises... even cardio if he had eaten previously... I could work out any body part, even core and extreme cardio without any problem and would eat before and after workouts. We all have different bodies and you have to listen to your body and what it is comfortable with and what it needs. Anyone that tells you that you should definitely do one or the other is not your friend... You are the best judge of what you need... If you don't know then give it a try and see how your body reacts.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat after the gym in the morning or before the gym (like 1-2 hours before) in the evening.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack before my workout, a snack in the middle of my workout, and dinner after my workout (usually around 7-8pm at night).