How low do you go ( squat)

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    <--- I find going low feels better and seems to be less strain on my knees... Just keep working on mobility and work your way up on weights :drinker:

Same for me, though you will probably not be able to squat as much weight at first doing this. My knees almost always go past my toes by about an inch or two as well.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    A2G on front and back squats - the lower you go the less strain on the knees but as above, at least parallel.

Thanks for this....I have knee problems and needed to know this as I do hundreds of squats a week (worked into my normal workout).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    With lower weights I go lower because it feels right, but with higher weight I only go parallel because I can feel way too much stress on my knees and hips.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I go as low as I can while still keeping a straight back, which right now is unfortunately not quite parallel. I'll get there.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Doing pistol squats I manage to control the negative ATG but then need a little boost from the empty leg to start me back up again out of the full squat. Excellent core work as well as quads (not saying the barbell squat isn't).
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    PT has me doing 5 sets of 12 weighted squats using the Smith, with lower weight than normal (30kg), and with my butt hitting the lowest level of the work out bench. This feels a harder work out for me, has improved my shape, and seems to be less strain on my knees.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I squat until my quads are parallel to the floor.
  • spencer7593
    Options
    What works for me is goblet squats. I make sure my weight is on my heels, not just on my toes.

I go below parallel, so I can really feel the activation in the hamstrings (the back of my legs), and the glutes. (My quads are much stronger than the hamstrings, so I'm primarily doing squats to strengthen my hamstrings. (The goblet squat is more of a full body exercise which also exercises my core, as opposed to the reverse leg curl which is more targeted.)

Doing squats on the Smith, I do not use a bench because I do NOT want "my butt hitting" the bench or anything, because that has too much potential for causing injury putting too much of a load on my spine and lower back. The key (for me) is feeling the activation in my hamstrings. My goal is maximize the amount of time my hamstrings are under tension.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I prefer do my squats in front of the couch. Drop your hips back and descend toward the cushions. Once seated, grab a beer and turn on the game...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Definitely get to parallel. If you're having trouble with this see if there is a box or bench that you can pull into the squat rack and do Box Squats. Just make sure that the box or bench is low enough for you to achieve parallel. Box squats are a good way to teach form and it's actually a great version of the squat. Some powerlifters train box squats almost exclusively.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    PT has me doing 5 sets of 12 weighted squats using the Smith, with lower weight than normal (30kg), and with my butt hitting the lowest level of the work out bench. This feels a harder work out for me, has improved my shape, and seems to be less strain on my knees.

Smith machine while can be used as a great tool, isn't recommended for someone who is just starting out, or someone who still doesn't have a strong/confident squat. I personally would recommend you never use it for squats.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Definitely get to parallel. If you're having trouble with this see if there is a box or bench that you can pull into the squat rack and do Box Squats. Just make sure that the box or bench is low enough for you to achieve parallel. Box squats are a good way to teach form and it's actually a great version of the squat. Some powerlifters train box squats almost exclusively.

I could adapt this to my Pistol Squats, squatting down to a chair seat or something lower until I can squat back up from the heel - thanks.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, just got back from work so haven't been able to read replies until now. Will read properly later on, I have a dog giving me evil looks if he doesn't get taken out in a minute, thank you for your advice, brilliant as always x
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I prefer do my squats in front of the couch. Drop your hips back and descend toward the cushions. Once seated, grab a beer and turn on the game...

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A common view is that full squats are bad for the knees because they require the knees to travel forward over the toes.

There is no evidence that having the knee travel forward over the toe is bad for the knees.

An analysis performed on cadavers found that the pressure on the knee decreases as the knee flexion angle increases from parallel to 120°... this would be the bottom part of the squat that scares many people!

It's an improper view. As you can easily break parallel without forward knee travel.
    very true about the knee thing though. breaking parallel is actually better for your knees

I agree... I certainly don't think that squats performed with good form are ever bad for the knees, if anything building leg strength through squats will help prevent injury.

Make you run faster, jump higher etc. etc.
  • jesz124
    Options
    I'm really inflexible and have always struggled going really low with my squats. Basically im wondering if this will this hinder my progress? (I'm doing stronglifts presently, 7 sessions in) Opinions pleaseeeee!!

What does your stance position look like (feet) and where are your toes pointed?

Feet are roughly shoulder width or just further apart, toes pointing forward.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Will lower weight tomorrow and see if I can get lower. I think I've been focusing too much on upping weight every workout without keeping a good eye on my form. I always manage parallel on my warm ups sets, but can't get that low on my max weight, no way. I just feel like my legs will give way. Obviously I am trying to run before I can walk. Thanks again guys x
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Your squat depth will improve with time. Many people have a hard time at first to go really low. Don't force your body too much or you'll risk injury. Just practice more and always stretch at the end of each workout. Eventually you'll be able to go parallel and beyond, and trust me it's one of the most rewarding exercises you can possibly do.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    IMO it's not a squat if it's not below parallel.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    *kitten* to grass for best results imo. I lightened the weight at first and slowly increased it over time.. have had no issues with joints or anything else knock on wood!
    [/quote

Check out Goblet Squats on you tube. It's a great way to get depth and technique in your squats. Also I posted this article on another forum but I think it applies here as well.

http://www.powering-through.com/2012/10/drop-quarter-squat-and-do-these-squat.html