Cauliflower pizza dough for the Cauliflower hater?

Options
Hey y'all. Quick question.

Has anyone tried the whole "using cauliflower as bread" thing? I've seen it on Pintrest a ton of times, but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet because... well.. I hate cauliflower. So does my boyfriend. Does it just taste like cauliflower in the shape of dough? Or does it really do a good job as a carb replacement? If it just tastes like ground, baked cauliflower, there's a very high chance that it will not get eaten. I'm kinda really poor, so buying food that doesn't get eaten is super bad. ( /obvious statement)

Here's some examples of what exactly I'm talking about:

http://mamagrubbsgrub.blogspot.com/2011/11/cauliflower-breadsticks.html
http://faretoremember.blogspot.com/2010/08/call-of-cauliflower-part-4-cauliflower.html

TL;DR Are the cauliflower haters among us doomed to high carb dishes that cauliflower lovers seem to avoid? (Pizza dough, mashed potatoes)

Replies

• cpeters29
    Options
    cauliflower pizza is really good didnt think i would like it but did
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Right now, everything I eat is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten, so I'm game!! lol!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The recipes look good. I've had "mashed" cauliflower at Ruby Tuesdays and it was delicious. I think I'll try the bread sticks first.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'd really like to hear from other cauliflower haters who have tried these things.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just made it yesterday for the first time. I don't like cauliflower but LOVED the pizza with it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I've made it before and it was good. I was surprised, because I don't like cauliflower. I expected the worst and was very surprised :)
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Cauliflower still tastes like cauliflower. I like it but as a base for pizza... no. I like to bake a large pepperoni with pizza toppings on it or use a round of eggplant as a base.
  • driii123
    driii123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I actually tried this for the first time last night (recipe from pinterest). It is AMAZING!!! Does not taste like cauliflower at all, but the raw stuff does make your house STINK. Anyway, I had a bunch left over so I made some 'Bread' tonight and even without the sauce and toppings, you can not tell it is cauliflower. So yummy!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza dough with it last week and was shocked, I actually liked it. The guy didn't, but that was only after I told him what it was made of :)
    I really like mashed cauliflower too, but I mix it with some cream cheese and sour cream, you know, just because :)

Cauliflower is one of the very few veggies I don't like at all, but I plan to use it again for things like this.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's soooo yummy! I used itallian seasoning and it tasted great, and you have to drain the cauliflower VERY WELL or it is like mush!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, never had it as pizza dough. But I have boiled and made mashed cauliflour and THAT'S good
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have made it twice. The first time it came out pretty good, the second time I think it wasn't as good because I didn't put fresh garlic in it. My kids definitely love it and they hateee all veggies. You need to be careful though because I made the dough really thin and had to use a fork to eat it as it broke apart. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get it so the bottom of the pizza isn't so limp.. Let me know how yours turns out if you make it!!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower crust but spaghetti squash crust is awesome too!

100_5329.jpg

This was 1.5 cups spaghetti squash, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
    (mix together, pour into pan and flatten it down to form crust)
    then sprinkle whatever you want (I used 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp parsley, a dusting of garlic powder).
    Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.
    Add sauce, cheese, toppings - anything you want.
    Stick back in the oven until cheese is lightly browned :)

** The squash also seemed to hold together better than the frozen cauliflower I've used. Also, I like cauliflower BUT I don't really taste it when I make it into "bread". Once you add the pizza/other toppings it really takes away the flavor.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am not a hater, but I have made cauliflower pizza dough and it does taste like cauliflower.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am SO going to try this!!!! Thanks!
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm so conflicted! Some people say they can't tell, some people say it still tastes like cauliflower!!!
  • cmullerRN
    cmullerRN Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm really going to have to try this spag. squash crust!!!!
  • cmullerRN
    cmullerRN Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower crust but spaghetti squash crust is awesome too!

100_5329.jpg

This was 1.5 cups spaghetti squash, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
    (mix together, pour into pan and flatten it down to form crust)
    then sprinkle whatever you want (I used 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp parsley, a dusting of garlic powder).
    Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.
    Add sauce, cheese, toppings - anything you want.
    Stick back in the oven until cheese is lightly browned :)

** The squash also seemed to hold together better than the frozen cauliflower I've used. Also, I like cauliflower BUT I don't really taste it when I make it into "bread". Once you add the pizza/other toppings it really takes away the flavor.

This looks amazing...I think I'll try it tonight using eggbeaters instead of regular eggs! Thanks for the post!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    More cauliflower! This is for those that hate pizza dough!

animation.gif
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    works very good. just using parmesan and Italian seasoning for flavoring. trick in making a stiff crust is to wring out as much moisture you can from it after ricing and cooking in a tea towel before you start making the dough.