Breaking the mental barrier of running

Options
I ran 3.2 miles again. Sunday I was a bit down since I didn't make it that far. I had previously hit the 3.2 mark last Thursday. So I have learned two things for myself in the past week. 1) My body might not like a two day rest between Thursday and Sunday, my two best runs have been after a one day rest, and 2) I have got to overcome the mental breakdown that hits me halfway through the run. I was ready to quit at the start of mile number 2 today. It could be because I keep running the same route and I know in my head where the hills are and where the 3.2 marker is at. No matter what it is, I have got to quit thinking too much. Today I continually told myself, "Keep digging," "you've went further than this before," "Keep pumping," "you're awesome," "This is only a mountain, tell it to move and it will MOVE!"

Thanks for all of the encouragement from you folks out there in MFP land!

Replies

• jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I am a new (struggling) runner also. I will bargain with myself. I won't let myself quit at the end of one. But tell myself that I can quit running and switch to walking at the end of the two mile mark. I am pretty slow, so that is close to 30 minutes. But I have noticed that if I can get to that two mile mark while running, I can keep going to finish the run. Of course there are still the days were my legs won't cooperate and that bargaining chip just doesn't work.

Keep up the excellent work.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I am a new (struggling) runner also. I will bargain with myself. I won't let myself quit at the end of one. But tell myself that I can quit running and switch to walking at the end of the two mile mark. I am pretty slow, so that is close to 30 minutes. But I have noticed that if I can get to that two mile mark while running, I can keep going to finish the run. Of course there are still the days were my legs won't cooperate and that bargaining chip just doesn't work.

Keep up the excellent work.

Congratulations on taking up running, I once joined the track team in middle school just so I could go hangout at meets and wear the jersey lol.

For me, every run presents a new challenge physically and mentally. If it's not my lungs or legs, it's my dang mind telling me to quit. I tell myself to shut up! :)
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Can relate big time.
    When my brain starts telling me that "I can't do it" I HAVE to make myself take a self-evaluation. I think about my legs and whether they're hurting or not, think about my sides and whether I have a stitch or not, think about my hands and if they're loose, think about my shoulders and whether they're straight or not....I found that if I do this and run through the checklist, I convince my brain that I AM fine and that I can keep going.
    I hit the 3 mile mark 2 times last week. This morning (W7D3) I decided to stay with the program and work on speed. It was actually harder than going a longer distance for a longer time....but the checklist helped, and I finished with my best time to date.

It's so mental! That's what's struck me the most out of this experience.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Definitely mental. Maybe instead of giving up, make yourself walk OR run the whole time. For me now I am aiming for 30 minutes. I try to keep jogging and try not to walk at all, but sometimes I have to slow down and sometimes I feel better if I just walk for 10 or 15 seconds or so. I tell myself that no matter what I'm going to complete the 30 minutes, whether walking or running. Usually that gets me slowly jogging again, the idea of walking (and thereby slowing down what my average pace will be) bothers me too much. Last time I allowed myself to just slow down my jog when I wanted to walk and that seemed to help. I think I have a tendency to push myself too fast. I can get a lot more distance if I run a 13 or 14 minute mile, but I am trying to improve my speed to a 12 minute mile currently, so that is where the mental games kick in. Good luck!
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Awesome job! That is usually all it takes, telling your self you CAN do it. You CAN over come and you HAVE before. That little voice that tells you, you can't ROAR at it and tell it you CAN! :tongue: :wink:
  • tonibologne
    Options
    Great Job!!!! I have been there many times myself. I find listening to music and changing where you run extremely helpful. I usually give myself a minute or two before I stop. If the pain goes away after that then I keep going, if it doesnt I stop. I usually find the pain goes away. U will be surprised what you are capable of. Another thing, I dont know if its just me but the slower I run the harder it is. I find if I just make sure my posture is correct, breathing properly and running at a decent pace, it is so much easier.

Keep pounding the pavement!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That mental barrier is huge, but once it is down, your body will do all sorts of amazing things! If you struggle with a familiar route, maybe try a new one! I always like 5ks for that reason - I usually have no idea how the heck far I've gone - I just keep running until it is over. I trained for a 1/2 this summer after never running more than 3. It was amazing to see/feel the barrier crumble. Things that helped? Running uncharted territory with a GPS. Running with a teammate (or 2 or 3) and thinking POSITIVE thoughts the entire time. This is hard to do, but if I thought of something negative, I would actually start to feel more fatigued.

Just keep running... just keep running... Great job!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i have map my run and it shows my distance so i run about 2 to 2.5 miles and then i gotta come back so i end up running 4-5 miles and with my earphones i tune things out and just listen to my music...also i cant run the whole time so i end up walking like 10 minutes of it total...i run as much as i can and then walk for about a minute and then run again...im not a great runner but it keeps me going..hope this helps...i hope my next summer i can do 6-7 miles without stopping so i can try a 10k and maybe in a couple years 15k or more.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how powerful that mental block is?

A few years ago I was running strong... Not to the point where I was going for distance, but I could run for 45 minutes at a pretty good pace.

THEN I injured my ankle/foot really bad. (Ironically, I was not running when it happened.) Doc's orders were to not run for 6 months. At first I thought he was crazy. I was certain I would be running within a few months' time. But it turns out it took longer (1+ year) before I was even comfortable enough to run for a few minutes.

NOW it has been a few years... And I still can't get back to that 45 minutes. I top about 20-30 and I start to worry that I am going to injure myself again.

It is not even that I hurt. But something in my head stops me, tells me that I can't do it, and I give up. Booo.

:(
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Every run is different--you have to analyze what the issue is. One run, my breathing might be fine, but my muscles are tired or cramping and vice y versa. Breathing for me usually is a lack of conditioning. My breathing and muscle cramps usually don't settle down until after the first mile. Be careful and know whether you're experiencing pain because of injury or muscle building. Warming up and cooling down is so important for injury prevention.

It's OK to stop during a run and walk briskly. My goal is to minimize these. I usually pick a point on the road where I start running again.

Lately, I've been doing my best to attack hills and not stop. I usually try to pick a song on my iPod to help me do this.

You need to find mentally what works for you--music, visualizations, someone yelling at you, etc. Set your goals--whether you're running for racing, pleasure, or running to get in shape to do something else. You do need to vary your route, especially if you're going to run races.

Races can help you mentally--especially if you're wanting to push your times. I ran a 5k Saturday and literally accused people of keeping the clock wrong because I knocked 10 minutes off of my time from the first race I did in April. My practice times haven't been that good, but I am super pumped to run now and train for a 10k.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    This is all so true, its nice to hear other peoples struggles. I have been running since May. I am up to running a mile with ease then I run a half mile at a higher rate to build endurance. I have run 2 miles before but it was like my brain didnt want to do it, I had to force myself. I am in my first 5K this November so I hope I can finish running the whole time.
  • journalistjen
    Options
    This is all so true, its nice to hear other peoples struggles. I have been running since May. I am up to running a mile with ease then I run a half mile at a higher rate to build endurance. I have run 2 miles before but it was like my brain didnt want to do it, I had to force myself. I am in my first 5K this November so I hope I can finish running the whole time.

You can do it--it's OK to stop and walk.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to say it.. Maybe you just aren't ready to RUN more than 3.2 miles and that is ok!!

BUT you probably ARE ready to go a longer distance... so, you might consider increasing your mileage by 1 mile each week, 1 time a week. (from my own experience, increasing any faster will result in injury.).

For me, I set a mileage goal and tell myself whether I walk, run, skip or cartwheel the whole thing, I am going to cover the miles.. Speed and endurance simply comes with time. You MUST Build up to it..

Do you have a set schedule? If not, consider setting one.. Lots of folks (especially training for races) set weekly mileage goals. For example, you might run 3 miles on Tues and Thurs.. and then sometime between Friday, Saturday and Sunday, get in a LONGER run, say 4 miles... (finishing it any way you can - run, walk, skip, cartwheel)

The next week, you might run 3 miles on Tues and Thurs.. and then sometime between Friday, Saturday and Sunday, get in a LONGER run/walk/skip 5 miles... just cover the distance...

The next week, you might run 3 miles on Tues and Thurs.. and then sometime between Friday, Saturday and Sunday, get in a LONGER run/walk/skip 6 miles... just cover the distance...

From there, you might want to hold steady and just work on speed and endurance.. you know, race yourself!

The benefit... if you do your shorter runs, your long runs will be so much nicer.... it helps your body to prepare.. and you will get faster, stronger and get thru the barrier.. I know, it worked for me...

One last note, if you can REGISTER and PAY for a longer, local race, that will give you something to shoot for..

For example, you might register for a Christmas 10k. So, when you train, you will start with your long run at 4 miles, add one mile each week on the long run and before you know it, you will be ready for 6.2 miles. Once you get to 6 miles, just hold your long run at 6 miles.. and you can spend the remaining weeks working on increasing your speed and endurance.. It make take 2 hours to get your 6 miles completed when you first start, but by race time, you will have yourself a decent pace..

Hope this helps and that it makes sense...
    Feel free to send me a friend request. I've been doing this running thing for quite a while...

Good luck!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I used to have a 4 mile mental block.
    Now i have done a half and am training for a full.
    Here is what I did. It may or may not work for you.

1st - I imposed a no walking rule on myself. If I am dressed to run, run is what I do....even if it might be slower than I like.
    2nd - I pick a route that makes it impossible to quit early. So..... first time I attempted 6 miles, I ran 3 miles away from my house then turned around. I was ready to quit at 4 miles but I had no choice, right? I was still 2 miles from home and I had a no walking rule. Bam. 6 miles done.

It is mental.

If you can run 3 miles, you can run 4. If you can run 4 miles, you can run 6. If you can run 6, your body will allow 8. Change the mind and the body will follow.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I ran 3.2 miles again. Sunday I was a bit down since I didn't make it that far. I had previously hit the 3.2 mark last Thursday. So I have learned two things for myself in the past week. 1) My body might not like a two day rest between Thursday and Sunday, my two best runs have been after a one day rest, and 2) I have got to overcome the mental breakdown that hits me halfway through the run. I was ready to quit at the start of mile number 2 today. It could be because I keep running the same route and I know in my head where the hills are and where the 3.2 marker is at. No matter what it is, I have got to quit thinking too much. Today I continually told myself, "Keep digging," "you've went further than this before," "Keep pumping," "you're awesome," "This is only a mountain, tell it to move and it will MOVE!"

Thanks for all of the encouragement from you folks out there in MFP land!

As you get stronger your body adjusts. When I started running (a long long time ago) I couldn't stand running without my music at first. It was all I could do to get to 3 miles and my face was beet red. This was back in the day when they first came out with Sony Walkman's (a cassette tape player and batteries!). It was clunky and expensive at the time but was worth it. If the batteries were dead so was my run, LOL. I loved the upbeat music to keep me going. But once my body adjusted I didn't need it anymore and learned to simply enjoy being outdoors and smelling the fresh air and exercising and it finally became fun. Just keep at it and it will get better.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents -

Running is a totally mental experience for me. I have never been a runner - played rugby all through college = power lifting and run 10 steps and get knocked over. Started to try and run in my older years (okay, I'm 25) but still - ended up having to have to have surgery for anterior compartment syndrome (see searing pain and numb feet after 1/2 mile)... Long story short - while on the road for work a few weeks ago - I accidentally went on a 4 mile run. Why? Because I could!

Keep up the variety - if I run the same route or use the same music - my runs SUCK. Because somewhere in the back of my mind I know how long it takes me to get to certain milestones. But - in a weird hillbilly town in West Virginia - I ran farther than I ever have in my whole life!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some very nice responses indeed. I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. I have my first 5k this weekend, and I am so pumped!
  • journalistjen
    Options
    Wow! Some very nice responses indeed. I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. I have my first 5k this weekend, and I am so pumped!

Best Wishes!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is so totally my brain that holds me back from running!
    I've NEVER been a runner, but there have been times that I have thought it must be nice to get some stress/energy/pain out by just letting go and running! I started walking with a group of women last march and could barely keep up with their walk. When the walk go easier, I've found myself craving it!

Last week, the other women blew off the walk to go shopping so I went alone... I got up the first hill and while walking down thought about some jogging. But then all the mental insecurities came into play. People would see me! My endurance is so low, I wouldn't be able to go for very long and people would laugh at me for stopping to soon. Yeah, those kinds of thoughts.

So, I walked down the hill, then turned the corner and made a loop and went back up the other side and jogged down! I actually jogged! I think that was the first time I've run since i had to do it to pass high school PE class! I finally told myself to stop making excuses and just do it. Why do I care what anyone else thinks? And honestly, I doubt if anyone even noticed me anyway as they went about their own business lol. And if they are going to judge me without knowing me... well you get the point.

So tonight is the first walk scheduled since my jog last week. I'm actually finding myself hoping that the other women will blow it off again so I can prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke and I can get past my own mental barriers! Yay!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    OMG! you are going to have an amazing time at your first 5K! after competing in my first 5k mud run i became addicted to running - i'm training for a half marathon next June.

Your race will probably give you the mental push you need to get past your 3 miles. once you finish your 5k race, you're gonna want to do more races/longer races to prove to yourself you can do more/go further/run faster than the last time. it's crazy. a huge part of running is mental. good luck with your race - you're gonna do great!